Barland/Bosbury pear ripening

hal...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2021, 3:38:28 PM10/16/21
to Cider Workshop

I'm looking for advice with anyone who has Barland/Bosbury pears regarding ripening.  All my other English and Romanian perry pears ripen well if I pick them a little green and put them in cold storage in apple boxes or bins in a cold room (35-39 degrees F) for 4-5 weeks and then bring them out to sweat for a couple days before pressing.  About 10% of Barlands turn soft and brown, starting a couple weeks in the cold room.  Do folks have guidelines for picking and storage to ensure proper ripening?