The Cider Cellar

Andy Andy Frogy

Jul 13, 2021, 3:10:12 PM7/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious how many of you have or thought about a Cider Cellar?

Adam Brouwer

Jul 13, 2021, 5:39:44 PM7/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
An actual cellar to ferment/store cider in?
I have seen one at somebody's house in France.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Andy Andy Frogy <rootr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm curious how many of you have or thought about a Cider Cellar?

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Brian Drake

Jul 13, 2021, 8:38:04 PM7/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
best idea I've heard all day :)

Andy Andy

Jul 13, 2021, 9:26:11 PM7/13/21
to Cider Workshop
It could be both, but I'm reading this book on how to build a wine cellar,  and I assume same principle s apply for cider storing.

Thou, I don't know if storing temperature and humidity are the same as for wine.

Christopher Shockey

Jul 14, 2021, 1:45:51 PM7/14/21
to Cider Workshop
We built his and hers fermenting caves into our hillside as part of a remodel to our farmhouse over a decade ago. The caves are 4 X 5 meters and keep the temperature consistent between 14 and 16 degrees Celcius. We have air ducts at the floor and near ceiling that are connected to pipes that run many meters through the hillside so that air is drawn from the outside, pulled through the Earth so that when it reaches the cave its the same temperature as several meters below the soil surface. The floor drains lead to our forest garden and water the orchard. As you can see I do all of our cider in the cave and they also house our other food preservation.
cider cave fall 2017.jpg
IMG_1070.jpg

Andy Andy

Jul 14, 2021, 1:53:35 PM7/14/21
to Cider Workshop
Christopher, this is very nice. Thanks for giving details about the build. Is this US?

Steve Drew

Jul 14, 2021, 5:57:35 PM7/14/21
to Cider Workshop
Hi Andy,
I live in Tasmania, a very cidery place. I just visited a cider mill north of Launceston called Brady's Lookout Cider. https://www.bradyslookoutcider.com.au/
Chris and Caro Brown have devoted their cidery to the production of cider using the French Methode Traditionelle as would be used for champagne. They have taken the same sparkling wine techniques and approach that they learned in France and applied it to cider production.
Their setup is modern with stainless steel fermenters, mill, press with a total fermenter volume of perhaps 10,000 litres.
They have dug their cider house into the side of a hill, creating a 'cave', in which they bottle age sur lees, and eventually riddle their product.
Their commitment is such that they release bottles after 5 years of aging. Lucky they have other income streams to support themselves while this has been coming to fruition.
The current release (1820) is the first cuvee with some cider apples to provide a hint of bitterness along with the taste of 'age'. Delicately done.
Very nice, very food friendly. Great raft of persistent and very fine bubbles in each glass. The ageing in consistently cool temperatures makes for a wonderful drink.
They are very helpful too, so they may be open to discussion.
Warm regards
Steve

Paul Chambers

Jul 15, 2021, 7:17:15 AM7/15/21
to Cider Workshop
I am super jealous Chris, and I am fascinated with why you have a his & hers fermenting cave, different product or some me time???

tom.t...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 10:42:42 AM7/15/21
to Cider Workshop
> I'm curious how many of you have or thought about a Cider Cellar?

I think of little else! It is on my long list of "things what I would like".  Open to all new plans, schemes and other crafty ways of turning the aspiration into reality.  All the pre-existing farmhouses with cellars are well out of the young's price range these days (UK), so excavating one's own seems like the only way.

If you could share the details of the book you're reading Andy I'd be very grateful!

Tom

Christopher Shockey

Jul 15, 2021, 11:58:50 AM7/15/21
to Cider Workshop
Yes, Southern Oregon. If you pop this into Google Maps you will be looking down at the farm: 5QGF+Q2 Applegate, Oregon  You can see that the only flat part of it is the road that runs through it, so building into a hillside was the easy choice.

Christopher Shockey

Jul 15, 2021, 12:08:16 PM7/15/21
to Cider Workshop
Good question Paul. We were making a lot of fermented foods for our young family on the farm: wheels of goat and cow cheeses, blocks of feta submerged in olive oil in gallon jars, canned tomatoes and peppers, crocks and crocks of sauerkraut and kimchi, jams, baskets of potatoes, etc. So the thought was that I would start a very small cidery on one side, preferring yeast fermentation of fruit, while my wife would get the other side preferring bacterial fermentation of vegetables and dairy. Classic yeast versus bacteria, ethanol versus lactic acid marital kind of thing. I guess you could say she won because I never took the cidery commercial but we did take the lactic fermentation commercial, at its height I lost my side to production of krauts, kimchis and pickles. Now that we just teach people how to do all of that I have my side back but if you are concerned with LAB infection I would not recommend the path we took. ;)

Andy Andy

Jul 15, 2021, 2:12:18 PM7/15/21
to Cider Workshop
Tom the book is called How and why to Build a Wine Cellar by Richard M. Gold.

Paul Chambers

Jul 15, 2021, 3:39:51 PM7/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Win win for everyone Chris 🤓

Paul Chambers

T Tibbits

Jul 15, 2021, 6:51:31 PM7/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy, that's super helpful.
Tom

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Cider Workshop" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cider-workshop/b3e91ca5-5ac8-4a63-b31e-9eeb81e2f4cen%40googlegroups.com.

David Pickering

Jul 15, 2021, 7:05:04 PM7/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
To this who might aspire to a slightly larger cellar and who happen to have the raw materials reasonably close at hand….

The cidery belongs to Gurneys Cider (at Foster, approx 170km SE of Melbourne). They have a couple of images on their Instagram page but here are construction pictures on the link below which give a much better idea of what was involved.
https://investgippsland.com.au/a-re-installation-of-gippslands-history-in-a-unique-underground-cellar/

The material was recycled sections from the cooling towers of an old power station, a great example of ‘re-purposing’.

Cheers - David

David Pickering - "Linden Lea" 681 Huntley Road, ORANGE NSW 2800 Australia

http://www.cideroz.com/
http://www.cideraustralia.org.au/

dav...@cideroz.com
mobile: 0427 271 477
home: 02 6365 5275

Andy Andy

Jul 16, 2021, 7:02:13 AM7/16/21
to Cider Workshop
To be honest, I'm looking for craft style cellar. That tunnel stile one is more for industrial scale :).

Drndicka.sk

Sep 16, 2021, 5:57:43 AM9/16/21
to Cider Workshop
Hi Andy,
Being a bit lucky, I inherited a cellar cut in tuff stone after my great-great-grandfather.
Have to say it is great place to store our Cider and Brandy as it was hand cut deep into the hill, it is humid and the temperature is stable all year round without any additional technology needed.
Michal
Dátum: piatok 16. júla 2021, čas: 13:02:13 UTC+2, odosielateľ: Andy Andy
cellar3.jpg
cellar1.jpg
cellar2.jpg

Andy Andy

Oct 3, 2021, 8:17:32 PM10/3/21
to Cider Workshop
Michal congrats! Is this in Slovakia? How big it is?

Andy.

Drndicka.sk

Oct 4, 2021, 5:21:23 AM10/4/21
to Cider Workshop
Hi Andy,
yes correct, it is in Slovakia.
There are two tunnels behind our cellar:
  • one is 8x3
  • and one is 6x3
Michal

Dátum: pondelok 4. októbra 2021, čas: 2:17:32 UTC+2, odosielateľ: Andy Andy

Andy Andy

Oct 6, 2021, 6:54:05 PM10/6/21
to Cider Workshop
Thanks Michal!