Plastic Wine Bags?

Matthew F.

Sep 15, 2021, 12:46:05 PM9/15/21
to Cider Workshop
Hello all,

Has anyone had luck "bottling" their cider in bags--the sort that are used in "Wine in a box"?

Andrew Lea

Sep 16, 2021, 5:19:00 AM9/16/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is widely done by many people on this list here in the UK where they are widely available in 3, 5, 10 and 20 litre sizes. However,  this is only possible for still ciders, not those which are sparking or carbonated.

I understand such bags are not widely available in the US, but my information may be out of date now

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

On 15 Sep 2021, at 17:45, Matthew F. <spruce...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Has anyone had luck "bottling" their cider in bags--the sort that are used in "Wine in a box"?

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Matthew F.

Sep 16, 2021, 7:55:09 AM9/16/21
to Cider Workshop
Fantastic.  How long will the cider keep in the bags compared to glass bottles?

Thank you again for your help Andrew.

CGJ

Sep 16, 2021, 11:42:34 AM9/16/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I used plastic wine bags at first, figuring they'd be cheaper and
cleaner and easier than bottles.

I scored 1 out of 3 on that at best: cleaner is a maybe, but in the long
run no cheaper even than grolsch bottles, and if you clean the bottles
as they are emptied, then all you have to do is sanitize them before
filling, so really not much easier either. Filling the bags can be a bit
of a trick, you'll need the appropriate adapter / valve, but with that
in hand, it can be done manually if you're just starting.

That said, they do work, at least on a small scale, for a short time. If
you don't put them in the boxes (more money), they can be a bit of a
pain to handle.

In the US you can get them from Amazon, but you can probably track down
whoever is doing the actual sale and buy directly from them.

I'd suggest bypassing the bags and jumping to bottles. 1 liter size is
nice (2 pints  😁 ), but the hobbyist washers don't seem to take them so
you will be doing the washing / sanitizing by hand.

Cheers,
Carl
West Barnstable, Massachusetts

Andrew Lea

Sep 16, 2021, 12:22:02 PM9/16/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Bag-in-box is good for around 6 months, because the bags and tap mechanism are slightly porous and do let air in slowly.  Glass bottles are good for at least 2 years (though the cider may change by maturation in that time).

But a lot depends on the nature of the cider, temperature of storage, the amount of SO2 you add as antioxidant etc etc. So YMMV.