Harrison Single Varietal

Markus Warwick

Nov 8, 2021, 1:53:11 PM11/8/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Hello Cider Stewards,

I was fortunate to acquire about 600lbs of Harrison apples last week and would like to use some of it to make a single varietal.  We’ve already pressed enough to fill my one of my 14 gallon stainless conicals.  The must is in the conical and has been treated with sulfite. It is being held at a very low temp to await the next steps.   I am hoping to get a semi-dry, crisp, cider that does justice to the Harrison flavor.    To achieve this, I am considering the SAFCider AC-4 yeast.  Is there a more ideal yeast to use?  I am able to control my fermentation temperature, which I think should help in selecting the right yeast.

I have not yet checked for TA, pH or SG.   With that said, is there an ideal figure for these parameters to look for (or adjust the must to) when it comes to single varietals; specifically Harrisons?

This will be my first attempt at a single varietal with an heirloom apple.  I am very much looking forward to it and welcome any and all input and feedback.

Thanks!

Markus

Pullman, Washington, USA