Re: [Cider Workshop] Digest for cider-workshop@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Palmers Upland Cyder

6:08 AM (3 hours ago) 6:08 AM
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Not sure what sort of quantity of bottles you have but could you move them indoors to a warmer environment?

On Thu, 4 Jul 2024, 15:27 , <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Alan Adams <alanad...@gmail.com>: Jul 03 08:41AM -0700

Hi All,
Hoping to get some advice for my current batch of cider. It had a long,
slow wild ferment over the winter. We racked it towards the end of
fermentation, then added 50ppm of sulphites and some sugar prior to
bottling. It's been in bottle for a few months at this point and has not
produced any carbonation beyond the barest "psssht" when opened. I checked
the SG from a bottle and it is 1.004, which is about what I was aiming for
when we added sugar. Our bottles always finish out at 0.998. I figure my
mistake was not adding some additional yeast or possibly DAP at bottling to
ensure it would ferment to completion, but I've never needed that with my
past batches of cider. I think this is down to the apples we used - we went
to a different, lower input orchard and had more cider varieties in the
blend, hence the slower fermentation. How best to address this? Everyone
who drinks our cider wants a sparkling product, and my partner in making
this batch wants a few cases for his wedding this fall. I figure I can pop
the caps off and add a small dose of yeast or DAP to get things moving.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan
Casa de Oro Cider <casadeo...@gmail.com>: Jul 03 12:12PM -0700

I have noticed with wild ferments that warmer temperatures tend to ensure
complete fermentations. I do use about a 1/3 of the recommended dosage of
nutrient, just to ensure completion, but have found that it's not
completely necessary.

The other, more immediate option would be to, yes, open the bottles, pitch
a workhorse yeast (1118) and let it go. I have done this without the
addition of dap with .006 gravity points left (I use belgian bottles with a
cork and cage) and found it to work just fine. Granted it was a 3% ciderkin
so the environment wasn't all together too inhospitable but even at 6& or
7%, something like 1118 shouldn't have an issue. I would also let them sit
at room temperature (versus cellar) for extra insurance.

hope that helps.
---

Anthony López
*Maestro Sidrero*

*www.casadeorocider.com <https://www.casadeorocider.com>*

terryc...@gmail.com <terryc...@gmail.com>: Jul 03 09:15PM -0700

I have occasionlly had the same issue with stalling somewhere between SG
1.015 and 1.010, especially if using an ale yeast like S04 which has a high
demand for nutrients. The trees in my small orchard are unfertilised and
old, so I suspect my apples might be a bit low in YAN with not enough for
complete fermentation. Decanting and adding a small amount of DAP (and
sometimes yeast, for insurance) then rebottling seems to fix the problem.

FYI the last episode involved bottling at SG 1.011, monitoring carbonation
pressure, and planning to pasteurise at about 1.6 bar for something like FG
1.006. It initially stalled at 1 bar (just a psst on opening). Rebottling
with added sugar back to SG1.011, a pinch of yeast and DAP resulted in
1.6bar (for 2.5 volumes of C02) at SG 1.005... just about what I wanted.

I dose according to Claude and Andrew''s suggestion that 40-50ppm of DAP is
needed for a 10 gravity point drop in a stalled ferment.

On Thursday, July 4, 2024 at 5:12:56 AM UTC+10 Casa de Oro Cider wrote:

You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.