Swimming now?

Mark Crowther

May 13, 2013, 6:21:02 PM5/13/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Is anyone swimming during the day down at Coney Island right now: 10am-1pm? Thanks, Mark

Patricia Sener

May 13, 2013, 6:47:14 PM5/13/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Cibbows members are swimming on the weekends

On Monday, May 13, 2013, Mark Crowther wrote:
Hi. Is anyone swimming during the day down at Coney Island right now: 10am-1pm? Thanks, Mark

Patricia Sener
Managing Director
Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers

www.cibbows.org

Mark Crowther

May 13, 2013, 7:25:36 PM5/13/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Anyone interesting in 10am - 2pm during the day for the remainder of May?

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CIBBOWS weekday swimmers" group.

Mark Crowther

Diana Delaura

May 13, 2013, 9:57:27 PM5/13/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi, l just joined and have free time during the week.. How often do you swim and what distance?

Mark Crowther

May 13, 2013, 10:02:42 PM5/13/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com, cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Training for Ironman Lake Placid. Looking to do ~60 mins in the water. 1-2 miles. Would be good to get out 2-3 times during the week. Have never been in mid 50 degree water though - so apart from full wet suit what do we need to wear?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2013, at 9:57 PM, Diana Delaura <myswe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, l just joined and have free time during the week.. How often do you swim and what distance?

Diana Delaura

May 14, 2013, 10:57:29 AM5/14/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Mark,
I think it's great that you're training for ironman..
I just started swimming in the ocean last summer, about one mile.. Usually l swim at the ymca down brighton about 1 1/2 miles, it takes me about 35 to 40 minutes.. Swimming in the ocean is completely different than in a pool, so l don't think l am a suitable swimmer for you at this time.. hopefully after this summer or during l will be comfortable with my swimming skills in the ocean.. Looking forward to meeting all the cibbow members:)

Patricia Sener

May 14, 2013, 3:06:26 PM5/14/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Diana, look forward to meeting you when the water warms up a bit!
Patricia

Diana Delaura

May 14, 2013, 9:49:57 PM5/14/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patricia, thanks..

Patricia Sener

May 15, 2013, 7:01:06 AM5/15/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Mark, while we do not mind if you swim in a wetsuit with us, and you would not be alone, we are mostly made up of skins (non-wetsuit) people training for marathons and/or extreme cold.  You would learn a lot about cold water acclimation by coming out during the weekend and talking to/swimming with the group, as we are very experienced in adaptation skills. You might even convince someone to come out with you during the week if you came during a weekend and demonstrated that you were able to handle water this cold--it's also a good way to find someone your pace.  If you're inexperienced in cold water, you should absolutely swim with a buddy, and be conservative in terms of distance goals until you know what you can handle.   But your probably not going to get an answer as to "gear" you should wear, because in general this group is geared towards serious open water swimming without a wetsuit.  I wear a bikini with silicone cap and earplugs, and bring hot tea:)
Patricia

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CIBBOWS weekday swimmers" group.

Mark Crowther

May 15, 2013, 7:06:40 AM5/15/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
Patricia. It'd be an honor to swim with the group and start to learn the demands of ocean swimming in the cold. Is there a group heading out this Sunday morning? If so I'd like to join in. Thanks. Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Patricia Sener

May 21, 2013, 7:43:23 PM5/21/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
your welcome to come this weekend--should be a good turnout.  people usually show around 10am
Patricia

Dans Maree Sheehan

Jun 18, 2013, 5:28:36 PM6/18/13
to cibbows...@googlegroups.com
I will be swimming with another member on Friday at 11am if you're still interested. We're slow swimmers though!