The 10th Steering Committee and the 5th General Assembly held in Hsinchu ahead of the Summer School
Date: June 30, 2014, 1:30pm
Venue: Room 106A, HA Building II, National Chiao Tung University in Hsinchu, Taiwan
Participants: Meaghan Morris (as Chair), Grace Yee, Josephine Ho, Wondam Paik, Youngdo Yun, Sungkyung Kim, Wookyung Im, Xiaoming Luo, Nur Wulan, Arum Budiastuti, Ashish Rajadhyaksha, Nishant Shah, Chih-ming Wang, Kuan-Hsing Chen
- The GA confirmed new membership for Airlangga University in Indonesia; Institute of Korean Studies of Yonsei University withdrew its membership (All changes considered, the Consortium is composed of 22 institutions for the present).
- The SC approved Japavpur University as a prospective organizer for the 2016 Summer School, in collaboration with the Center for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS) and the Center for Internet and Society (CIS).
- Nishant Shah shared his ideas on Mass Open On-line Course (MOOC) as a new way of education and a direction the Consortium may consider for future. He suggested applying a proposal to Digital Media and Learning of MacArthur Foundation. Nishant wrote his brief proposal, and the Secretariat already circulated it. Member interested in his idea can work with Nishant. The Secretariat will take a role of coordinator for the proposal (Any institutions interested in this issue are welcome to e-mail us at iac...@gmail.com).
Thank You For Courtesy Extended!
The meeting was highly indebted to persons concerned in the International MA program in Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, International Institute for Cultural Studies, University System of Taiwan (IICS-UST). We deeply appreciate it, and special thanks to Kuan-Hsing Chen who organized all these, and Chia-Hsuan at the editorial office of IACS journal.
In-detail Information of the Meeting and the 2014 Hsinch Summer School
Compiling the in-detail information of the meeting is still under way, and we promise we will send it to all the representatives as soon as completed. The 2014 Summer School in Hsinchu (June 1st to 15th) is estimated as a success! The next issue of CIACSI e-Newsletter is going to deliver the news.
IACS Conference 2015
Date: 7-9 August 2015
Venue: Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
Organized by: Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society, University of Indonesia and Airlangga University
Keynote speaker: Prof. Abidin Kusno, University of British Columbia, Canada
Main theme: Undercurrents: Unearthing Hidden Social and Discursive Practices
|Subthemes: 1. Courting ecological disaster: movement, subversion, corruption|
2. Para-sites: Alternative space and knowledge production
3. ‘Free man’, mafia and underground economy
4. Healing and killing: ‘pharmakon’ and alternative modernity
5. Uncharted border, illegitimate transnationality, diaspora
6. Voices of the supernatural: ghosts, cults, spirit mediums
7. Challenging urbanity: rural, underclass, urban guerillas
8. Theorizing emergent movements: arts, youth, social media, politics
9. Surviving political violence: memory, narratives, performativity
10. Secrecy, blasphemy, laughter and promiscuity: grafting unsacred codes
11. Performing sexuality: communities and practices
12. Fetishizing the culinary: ‘foodporn’ and the bod
For more detailed information, please visit: http://culturalstudies.asia/iacs-conference-2015