Call for Applications for the 2016 IACSS Summer School
Theme: Creativity and Social Movements
Period: June 21 - July 5, 2016
Venue: Lingnan University, Hong Kong
Local Organizers: Lingnan University Kwan Fong Cultural Research & Development Programme, Master of Cultural Studies, Department of Cultural Studies
Targeting post-graduate students / young faculties, the overall theme will cover the diverse sociohistorical contexts in which thinking about creativity in relation to social movements (“aesthetics and politics” in the first half of the twentieth century) has mattered to both theory and practice. We will also consider the various forms of contemporary activism, and their conjunctures with cultural and aesthetic transformations of various kinds in inter-Asia. The programme will include 10 full-day themed coursework with a combination of lecture presentations and more informal as well as small group discussions, plus field-trips or visits on 2 or 3 days during the weekends.
Prof Stephen Chan & Prof Meaghan Morris
Meaghan Morris (University of Sydney), Chua Beng Huat (National University of Singapore), Ashish Rajadhyaksha (Centre for the Study of Culture & Society, Bangalore), Po-Keung Hui (Lingnan University, Hong Kong), Chiyo Wakabayashi (Okinawa University), Xiaoming Wang (Shanghai University), Wondam Paik (Sungkonghoe University, Soeul), Madhuja Mukherjee (Jadavpur University, Kolkata), Melani Budianta (University of Indonesia, Jakarta), Helen Grace (University of Sydney, Chinese University of Hong Kong), etc.
US$200/student: including shared campus hostel accommodation (2 person per room, June 20th check-in, July 6th check-out), welcome dinner, lunches (on class days), and transportation for most off-campus activities.
Limited financial assistance is available for those in need.
Important time lines
Dec 31, 2015
Feb 1, 2016
Apr 1, 2016
Acceptance confirmation (by students)
Please provide the following information in your application and send it to the IACSS Society Office (ia...@ln.edu.hk) by email before December 31, 2015.
1. Name, age
2. Affiliated Institution and current programme of study / teaching position
3. Areas of academic / research interests
4. Ever joined any previous IACSS Summer Schools before? If yes, where?
5. Reasons for joining this particular Summer School
6. Expectations from this Summer School
7. Reference letter from your supervisor / an appropriate senior colleague (Please attach pdf copy)
8. Would you need financial assistance in order to be able to come? Since our funds are very limited, please give a realistic estimate of what you would need.