[Updated] Summary of the 2014 IACSS Summer School
The Result of Student Selection Modified to 45
Information about Registration on June 30
The third Biannual Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society (IACSS) Summer School, in collaboration with the Modern Asian Thought project initiated by Inter-Asia School, will be held in Hsinchu, Taiwan in July 1-15, 2014. It brings together faculty and students from different background to engage with in-depth learning and discussion on key issues in “Modern Asian Thought.” Forty five applicants have been selected as the participants for this year’s Summer School by the committee; (To see the participants, please click: http://iics.ust.edu.tw/ss/index.htm)
Registration will take place from 10am to 10pm on June 30th (Monday) in Dorm Chin, at National Tsing Hua University (NTHU, No.101, Section2, kuang-Fu Road, Hsinchu). Tuition Fees USD 200 should be paid upon the registration at Dorm Ching, NTHU.
Theme: “Introduction to Modern Asian Thought”
Period: July 1-15, 2014
Venue: National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Core course: Introduction to Modern Asian Thought. An eight-day core course consists of 4 units of key issues and concepts in modern Asian thought are introduced to students through taught classrooms and in-depth discussions.
- MAT Annual Lecture: Two-day lecture and discussion features Prof. Ashis Nandy
- Workshop: An additional two-day workshop shall be held addressing specific research topics on contemporary debates.
- Field trips: Trips in and around the city, addressing local movements and development in a city where the “Science Park” is located.
The core course is composed of four units: “national cultures” mediates through Tagore and Lu Xun to analyze the conditions of the colonized nation in the early context of colonialism and imperialism; “Gandhism and Maoism” looks at the two political leaders’ truncated relation with popular thought before and after national independence; “Asia as Method” pinpoints the shifting concerns of the mode of knowledge from Takeuchi Yoshimi to Mizoguchi Yuzo; and “Division and its overcoming” questions the shaping and the lingering of the Cold War division system in the postcolonial configuration of the Asia region, as formulated in the work of Paik Nak-chung and Chen Yingzhen.
In light of the core course and as an integral part of the design, a workshop on the contemporary debate on “corruption” and “neo-liberalism and globalization” will also be organized. The course will end with the 2014 Annual Lecture of the Modern Asian Thought Project to be delivered by Prof. Ashis Nandy.
International MA program in Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, International Institute for Cultural Studies, University System of Taiwan (IICS-UST)
IICS-UST; Center for Asia-Pacific/Cultural Studies, National Chiao Tung U, Taiwan; Inter-Asia School; Graduate Institute for Social Research and Cultural Studies, National Chiao Tung U, Taiwan.
Consortium of Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Institutions; Institute for East Asian Studies, Sungkonghoe University.
Course Coordinating Team: Kuan-Hsing CHEN, Tejaswini NIRANJANA, and Ashish RAJADHYAKSHA, Nishant SHAH
For in-detail information: http://iics.ust.edu.tw/ss/program.htm
The CIACSI Steering Committee and 2014 General Assembly to be held in Hsinchu
The CIACSI is scheduled to convene its annual General Assembly (GA) on this coming June 30th at the National Chiao Tung University in Hsinchu, Taiwan. This year’s assembly will take place right ahead of the 2014 Summer School that is to start on July 1st under the theme of “Modern Asian Thought” for 15 days. The Steering Committee is scheduled as well ahead of the General Assembly in the afternoon on the same day.
Title: The 10th CIACSI Steering Committee in Hsinchu
Date: June 30, 1:30 pm
Venue: Room 106A, HA Building II, National Chiao Tung University
Title: The 5th CIACSI General Assembly in Hsinchu
Date: June 30, 7:00 pm
Venue: National Chiao Tung University in Hsinchu, Taiwan
Meeting arrangements for airport pick-up, accommodations, and the like are being done by local organizers; you can reach Chia-Hsuan at the IACS Journal office in Hsinchu through iacsia...@gmail.com
If you have any queries about the CIACSI or the GA, please e-mail to us at iac...@gmail.com
To see Consortium members(LINK)
IACS Conference 2015
Date: 7-8 August 2015
Venue: Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
Organized by: Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society, University of Indonesia and Airlangga University
Keynote speaker: Prof. Abidin Kusno, University of British Columbia, Canada
Main theme: Undercurrents: Unearthing Hidden Social and Discursive Practices
|Subthemes: 1. Courting ecological disaster: movement, subversion, corruption|
2. Para-sites: Alternative space and knowledge production
3. ‘Free man’, mafia and underground economy
4. Healing and killing: ‘pharmakon’ and alternative modernity
5. Uncharted border, illegitimate transnationality, diaspora
6. Voices of the supernatural: ghosts, cults, spirit mediums
7. Challenging urbanity: rural, underclass, urban guerillas
8. Theorizing emergent movements: arts, youth, social media, politics
9. Surviving political violence: memory, narratives, performativity
10. Secrecy, blasphemy, laughter and promiscuity: grafting unsacred codes
11. Performing sexuality: communities and practices
12. Fetishizing the culinary: ‘foodporn’ and the bod
Call for Papers: To be announced in July 2014
For more detailed information, please visit: http://culturalstudies.asia/iacs-conference-2015