Love PowerUp...but I can't see what future plans are...

Kelly Sonderegger

Dec 6, 2013, 3:48:10 PM12/6/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at Roundhouse and PowerUp I'm wondering what if any plans exit for continued development on PowerUp.

Specifically I was wondering about Table, Index, and Permission scripts being generated from a source database.

Thanks.

Keith Bloom

Dec 10, 2013, 8:40:03 AM12/10/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelly

Thanks for your interest and Roundhouse and your kind comments about PoweruP.

When I created PoweruP my first idea was to extract all the entities from SQL Server but I remember this causing me headaches because I had to be concerned about dependencies. I then  looked more in to the modes which RoundhousE supports (https://github.com/chucknorris/roundhouse/wiki/RoundhousEModes) and found that for my existing databases the RestoreRun mode was the best. Running with this mode I had a workflow whereby a backup of the latest prod db was available on a share. For each build RH used backup to re-create the db from the  baseline. This meant I only had to worry about creating the any time scripts, which is why PoweruP only produces Sprocs, Views and Functions.

Anyway, enough background. I'm not actively developing PoweruP at the moment and it hasn't been updated for a while. That said, adding Indexes and Permissions should be a simple change and I've added a couple of issues to the repo.

I'm not sure about tables though. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Keith

Bryan Johns

Dec 10, 2013, 11:44:10 AM12/10/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Support for tables, as well as views, triggers, etc. would all be a really nice enhancement making PoweruP useful for reverse engineering an existing database into a folder structure suitable for RoundhousE. To my knowledge, no existing database scripting tool has the ability to divide the scripts for the entire database into a user defined folder structure.

As far as dependencies go, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is since PoweruP isn't responsible for actually running the scripts. Take foreign keys for example. They could be handled by putting the foreign keys into their own scripts that are numbered high enough to ensure that RoundhousE wouldn't execute them until after all tables were created.

--
Bryan Johns
K4GDW

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Kelly Sonderegger

Dec 10, 2013, 1:30:44 PM12/10/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response Keith. I started realize exactly what you were saying as I played with this a little more.  This is perfect for the scenario of anytime script running and permissions would be nice to add to this.

As Bryan indicated, I think in more "chaotic" db situations reverse engineering to find out what you even have out in production is sometimes very useful.

Keith & Bryan I did find a utility in github that generated table scripts with constraints, indexes, keys and triggers called dbscripts.  It also generated data subsets from production environments which is really handy.  It seemed like the work of PowerUp and this work could be complimentary to me. The PowerUp scripting is definitely cleanly organized for easy roundhouse consumption.

On 6 December 2013 20:48, Kelly Sonderegger <kson...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been looking at Roundhouse and PowerUp I'm wondering what if any plans exit for continued development on PowerUp.

Specifically I was wondering about Table, Index, and Permission scripts being generated from a source database.

Thanks.

Rob Reynolds

Dec 10, 2013, 4:11:24 PM12/10/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
LInk?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/chucknorrisframework.

Kelly Sonderegger

Dec 12, 2013, 11:57:41 AM12/12/13
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/msharp/dbscript.  Sorry slow response.
LInk?

Tim Thompson

May 1, 2014, 7:18:36 AM5/1/14
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response, but I threw together a very simple Table create patch for Power up tonight while trying to add Roundhouse to a project for the first time, is there any interest in me tidying it up and trying to pushing it back to you guys?

Cheers,
Tim

Keith Bloom

May 3, 2014, 5:23:09 PM5/3/14
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Always happy to take a look and thanks for putting something together. Please send in a pull request and I'll take a look.

Cheers, Keith

Tim Thompson

May 13, 2014, 3:46:26 AM5/13/14
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Done.

Unfortunately it appears as though the inability of VS Express to view visible whitespace means I've changed the affected files from spaces to tabs :(

It's the first time I've done a clone/pull so let me know if you need anything else done.

Hope it helps,
Tim

On 1 May 2014 12:18, Tim Thompson <wok...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the late response, but I threw together a very simple Table create patch for Power up tonight while trying to add Roundhouse to a project for the first time, is there any interest in me tidying it up and trying to pushing it back to you guys?

Cheers,
Tim

Keith Bloom

Jun 20, 2014, 11:41:18 AM6/20/14
to chucknorri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim

I have finally got round to checking this out and it is a great addition. I can't merge it in yet as it doesn't work with tables that have a schema. I've put a comment on the PR in github.

Happy to help with getting it fixed if you need it and thanks for submitting it.

Keith