Inequity is more than a math error

Susana Dancy

Apr 1, 2009, 10:24:54 AM4/1/09
to chs_...@groups.google.com
CHS Parents,

Dr. Pederson’s e-mail yesterday indicates that Carrboro High School is getting $1.4 million more than previously reported.  This is a fairly large “oops” in the budget, and it should continue to be watched.  Even if the current numbers are accurate, there are still other questions about how Carrboro compares with the other schools.  These are related to:

* course offerings
* insufficient staff development
* overloading teachers with too many courses
* teachers working outside their specialties
* demographics of the school

In the end, the school still receives fewer resources (although perhaps not to the magnitude that it previously appeared) -- in spite of the fact that small schools are supposed to get greater resources AND in spite of the alarming demographics of the school.

We have a larger ESL population (12% vs. 6% at CHHS and 8% at East) and our Free/Reduced Lunch numbers are much higher, at 24.4% (compared with 13% and 18%).  Some quick math says the % of free/reduced lunch will increase 1% for every 6 or 7 students who transfer out of the school.  So it wouldn't be surprising if the free/reduced lunch rises to 30% next year, from its current 24.4%.

Carrboro High School still needs your vigilant attention.  Please attend the school board meeting on Thursday, April 2 at 7 p.m. at Chapel Hill Town Hall.  (That’s tomorrow!)

Susana