CHS Budget Issues: URGENT Meeting April 2!

1 view

MI

Mar 28, 2009, 9:25:47 AM3/28/09
to CHS_Forum
Dear Parents,

Several Carrboro High School parents have concerns about the school
district’s proposed budget for next year because our high school
receives significantly less funding per student than the larger high
schools in Chapel Hill. Our students receive 42-53% less PER STUDENT
than the larger high schools, and it is important for the resources of
this district to be shared fairly among the high schools so that
students can receive the same access to education. If CHS were funded
at roughly the same per student as the other schools, our school would
receive $2 million more this year.

Here’s the broad brush from the proposed budget:

Carrboro High School: $5211 per student ($4,387,568 for 842
students)

Chapel Hill High School: $7977 per student ($10,809,095 for 1355
students)

East Chapel Hill High School: $7417 per student ($10,940,122 for 1475
students)

If you drill deeper into the line items on the budget, you’ll find the
following on a per-student basis:

STAFF: CHS = $4,896; CHHS = $7,333; East = $6,776
FIELD TRIPS: CHS = $3; CHHS = $6; East = $6
STAFF DEVELOPMENT: CHS = $5; CHHS = $12; East = $11
INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPLIES: CHS = $42; CHHS = $95; East = $92
TEXTBOOKS: CHS = $13; CHHS = $80; East = $79

I hope that you are as concerned as I am about this information.
Please attend the school board meeting on Thursday, April 2 at 7 p.m.
at Chapel Hill Town Hall. WEAR PURPLE to show your support for the
school. We want to fill the meeting room, so bring your whole family
(or at least all the adults and middle/high schoolers). If you can,
please speak during public comment time at the start of the meeting.
Stay as long as you can to listen to the discussion. Your presence
makes a difference.

Here are some links, if you’d like more information:

Budget: http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=7181
CHS_Forum Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/chs_forum
To e-mail school board members: allboar...@chccs.k12.nc.us

Thanks in advance for any attention you can give to this. Please
forward this e-mail.

Thanks,

Susana Dancy
parent of 10th and 11th graders at Carrboro High School & 7th grader
at Culbreth