Proposed cuts to low-enrollment elective courses

MI

Jun 17, 2009, 10:57:55 PM6/17/09
to CHS_Forum
In today's Chapel Hill News, the article "Music, arts classes take a
hit" discusses proposed course cuts at CHCCS middle and high schools.
At the very end of the article, the "Electives Threatened" section
states that the CHCCS school board is considering cutting some of the
electives that have low enrollment, defined as courses that have fewer
than 15 enrollment requests. To see a document that lists the low-
enrollment courses identified by middle and high school principals, as
well as a full discussion about which are most likely to be cut,
follow these steps:

* Access the CHCCS web site:
http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=3884
* In the Quick Links panel, select Board Agendas.
* On the left, click Board Meeting Agendas and then Thursday, June 4,
2009.
* At the top of the agenda, click Work Session.
* Select Low Enrollment Course in Middle and High School.
* Select Download Now and wait for the PDF file to open.

I haven't read the entire document yet, but I did notice an error on
page 3, in the section discussing low-enrollment courses at Carrboro
High School. The document states "In 2008-2009, the school offered AP
Physics C but did not offer AP Physics B." In fact, AP Physics C was
not offered at CHS this past year. To my knowledge, no AP Physics
course has been taught at CHS since it opened.

- Marya Ilgen-Lieth