News-Observer story about Elem. #11 and CHS arts wing

Susana Dancy

Apr 29, 2009, 3:45:12 PM4/29/09
to chs_...@groups.google.com
Everyone,

Thanks for any support you have already given to the effort to get the Arts Wing funded sooner, rather than later.  Here’s a short article about last night’s joint meeting between the county commissioners and both school boards (both city and county).  We’re making progress!

As always, I encourage you to communicate with our elected officials — both the school board and the county commissioners — about the importance of making the arts wing the TOP SCHOOL CONSTRUCTION PRIORITY.  You can also log into the News-Observer website and make public comments (either under your name or a pseudonym).  Please e-mail me if you have any questions or need additional information.

Thanks,

Susana

Orange county commissioners:  http://www.co.orange.nc.us/contact.htm
CHCCS Board of Education:  http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=3524

--

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/orange/story/1506017.html

New Chapel Hill-Carrboro school may be delayed
By Colin Campbell, Correspondent

CHAPEL HILL - A new elementary school in the Northside neighborhood might be put on hold due to funding shortages, Orange County commissioners told school board members Tuesday night.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro school board members were surprised by the move. The commissioners had previously committed to funding Elementary School 11 – scheduled to open in fall 2011 – and plans to design the building and get approval from the Chapel Hill Town Council are already under way.

“It really does come as a shock tonight that we need to lay off our architect and everyone involved with that project,” school board chairwoman Lisa Stuckey said.

Superintendent Neil Pedersen noted the myriad issues delaying construction would create, including whether to continue the building approval process in Chapel Hill and whether to delay moving pre-Kindergarten programs housed on the site.

“You already have a fairly significant investment in this project,” Pedersen said. “We need some more discussion about the future of that project.”

Commissioners expressed their continued support for the school, but noted the county’s difficult budget situation.

“None of us want to change the direction in which we were headed for Elementary 11,” board of commissioners chairwoman Valerie Foushee said. “The county’s ability to do it right now is just uncertain.”

Commissioner Barry Jacobs noted that if available funding isn’t enough to build the school, the county might instead fund construction of Carrboro High School’s arts wing. But it’s also possible that funding would not be available for either project.

Also at Tuesday’s meeting, board members from both county school districts presented their budget proposals and potential budget cuts for 2009-10. Commissioners did not indicate how much funding the districts might receive.