Celestron/Nexstar controller support?

Jay Shaffer

Jan 28, 2014, 4:13:07 PM1/28/14
to chronomo...@googlegroups.com
Do anyone know if there is anyone pursuing making Chronomotion work with the Celestron/Nexstar control protocol? Sky-watcher Merlin mounts are difficult to obtain in the US whereas Nexstar mounts are ubiquitous. Also does anyone have experience with Chronomotion controlling the Sky-Watcher All View mount.
Thanks.

Sebastian Pichelhofer

Jan 29, 2014, 8:27:17 AM1/29/14
to Jay Shaffer, chronomo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay

I don*t know of anyone working on that at the moment, sorry.

Maybe the protocol is similar/identical?

Regards Sebastian

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Jay Shaffer <clev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do anyone know if there is anyone pursuing making Chronomotion work with the Celestron/Nexstar control protocol? Sky-watcher Merlin mounts are difficult to obtain in the US whereas Nexstar mounts are ubiquitous. Also does anyone have experience with Chronomotion controlling the Sky-Watcher All View mount.
Thanks.

Jay Shaffer

Jan 29, 2014, 3:19:32 PM1/29/14
to chronomo...@googlegroups.com, Jay Shaffer
Hi Sebastian
Thanks for your prompt response. In looking at the communication manager module it appears that  the command protocols are different. I was able to control my Celestron LCM mount using several different astronomy software packages but not Chronomotion. This was with a Windows 2000 laptop with a direct serial connection. I will take a look at  the terminal logs to see if Chronomotion is communicating with the mount, but my suspicion is that  Chronomotion is not receiving the expect response from the mount. I took the liberty of attaching a guide to the Celestron/ Nexstar control protocol, for you to take a look at. My coding skills are rudimentary at best (some Visual Basic and Javascript), But if it is just a matter of substituting some commands in the communication manager module, it would be a project worth undertaking.
Also I wanted to make you aware of jINDI project which is  an open source universal telescope control driver. http://www.cloudmakers.eu/jindi I am wondering if Chronomotion could work with jINDI so that it could work with all telescope mounts?
Thanks again.

Best, Jay
NexStar_AUX_Commands_10.pdf

Sebastian Pichelhofer

Jan 30, 2014, 10:59:12 AM1/30/14
to chronomo...@googlegroups.com, Jay Shaffer
Thanks!

I hope I will soon have the time to take a look.

Regards Sebastian

Claude Vanhemmens Gmail

Jan 30, 2014, 1:24:49 PM1/30/14
to chronomo...@googlegroups.com
> --
Hello Jay,

Some of the Celestron (CPC, LCM, SLT etc ...) use exactly the same
protocol as the Merlin/Skywatcher/Panogear head.
The Nextar 's serie use different protocols !

The AllView mount, The Virtuoso Heritage Skywatcher and the Orion
Starblast serie ... all of them use also the same protocol as the
Merlin ...

The Softwares Papywizard and PandroidWiz (Android platform) are also
able to drive all that mounts ... (based on the skywatcher protocol)

The original protocol of Skywatcher has been published officially:

https://code.google.com/p/skywatcher/wiki/SkyWatcherProtocol

Claude

Paul Slater

Apr 10, 2016, 1:42:42 PM4/10/16
to Chronomotion Development & Technical Support
Might I pile on and ask if anyone has controlled the Orion StarBlast mount with papywizard ???

Sebastian Pichelhofer

Apr 10, 2016, 1:46:53 PM4/10/16
On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Paul Slater <pandac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Might I pile on and ask if anyone has controlled the Orion StarBlast mount with papywizard ???

Hi Paul

I am afraid this is the wrong mailing list for papywizard related questions.

Regards Sebastian

Claude Vanhemmens

Oct 29, 2018, 11:22:06 AM10/29/18
to chronomo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jay,

The communication protocol and internal software are the same for Sky Watcher and Nexstar are the same ....
Normaly this will be no problems.

Claude