(fwd) Changes to the continuous builds archive.

Jeff Grossman

May 11, 2011, 12:27:24 AM5/11/11
to chromium...@googlegroups.com
I just saw the following the Chromium Development group. I imagine
this change will affect Chromium Updater? It looks like the old
"continous" folder will continue to update for 2 weeks. After that
time we will no longer get updates.

Jeff

On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:55:52 -0700, in gmane.comp.web.chromium.devel
Nicolas Sylvain <nsyl...@chromium.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>*TL;DR:*
>*The new location for the continuous builds archive is :
>http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html
>*
>*The link at the top of the waterfall has been updated.*
>
>Since September 2008 we've been archiving all builds that passed all the
>tests to a "continuous" folder hosted on one of our buildbot
>server. Due to the disk space limitation, we were trimming old builds and
>ended up keeping only 1 build maximum per day.
>
>The first change that I've made today is to use Google Storage instead of
>our own server. That way we have a lot more disk space and
>bandwidth, and we will not need to trim old builds anytime soon.
>
>The second change that I've made is to stop using the "Full" builders on the
>main waterfall as a signal to know if a build is good or not. We
>are now using LKGR. ("Last Known Good Revision", which is updated when all
>tests are green for a given revision on our 13 most important bots)
>
>When LKGR is updated, a new set of builders will start building that
>revision on all platforms and archive it on Google Storage.
>
>You can see the new bots at
>http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.lkgr/waterfall<http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.lkgr/waterfall?>
>(There
>is a section for it at the top of the main waterfall)
>
>This also means that if a given revision is available in the continuous
>builds for Windows, the same revision should also be available on
>Mac, Linux and Linux x64, unless there was a flaky compile. (A few people
>expressed the desire to have it that way)
>
>More details:
>
> - Since the "Full" builders are not used to determine the quality of a
> build anymore, all redundant tests have been removed. Those clobber bots
> cycle much faster now. They have also been renamed from "Full" to "Clobber".
> - 30 minutes faster on Windows
> - 23 minutes faster on Mac
> - 22 minutes faster on Linux x64
> - 17 minutes faster on Linux
> - I will keep the old continuous folder alive another 2 weeks. It will
> also continue to be updated during this time. If you do rely on it, please
> let me know and I can help you remove that dependency.
> - Each subdirs on google storage have a LAST_CHANGE file, which contains
> the last revision we've archived. There is no global "LATEST" subdir
> anymore.
> - LKGR is not updated very often (average of 8 times a day, mostly
> outside MTV business hours). But getting LKGR to a point where it gets
> updated often is a goal, since other critical parts of our infrastructure
> depend on LKGR not being stale, like the try bots.
>
>Note1: "Snapshots" are not touched by this. They will eventually move to
>Google Storage too, but for now, nothing has changed.
>Note2: A few older builds are still being copied from the previous location
>to the new one. They should be available soon.

mendres

May 11, 2011, 4:30:48 AM5/11/11
to Chromium Updater
These changes will most certainly break Chromium Updater's update
mechanism. I don't expect to find the time for making an update within
the next few weeks, so the only suggestion now would be to use
Chromium Snapshot Builds. Those should work as expected.

On May 11, 6:27 am, Jeff Grossman <j...@stikman.com> wrote:
> I just saw the following the Chromium Development group.  I imagine
> this change will affect Chromium Updater?  It looks like the old
> "continous" folder will continue to update for 2 weeks.  After that
> time we will no longer get updates.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:55:52 -0700, in gmane.comp.web.chromium.devel
>

> Nicolas Sylvain <nsylv...@chromium.org> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >*TL;DR:*
> >*The new location for the continuous builds archive is :
> >http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/i...

Jeff Grossman

May 11, 2011, 10:51:43 AM5/11/11
to chromium...@googlegroups.com
That sucks.  Well, when you have the time to update it I am sure it will be appreciated by a bunch of people.  Thanks for creating a great program.

What is the difference between the Continuous builds compared to the Snapshot builds.

Jeff

Pachuco

May 11, 2011, 1:01:09 PM5/11/11
to Chromium Updater
@mendres

When you find the time the update will be very much appreciated.
Meanwhile I'll be using the Snaptshots.

Again, thanks for a great program.

Cheers!

Nick Bagileo

May 23, 2011, 8:10:05 PM5/23/11
to chromium...@googlegroups.com
The last version I have is 13.077.0 - build 85810, is there a place I can go to download the latest version?
thanks
Nick

Jeff Grossman

May 23, 2011, 9:15:24 PM5/23/11