Checking interval

123itsnotme

Feb 26, 2011, 4:46:43 PM2/26/11
to Chromium Updater
Hi,

First of all thanks for so simple and useful piece of code.

I have noticed one behavior which you could try to verify. In the
updater setting one can set the interval such as 1 hour, 6 hours, etc.
I was doing a packets sniffing for some other reason and I noticed
very frequent Chromium versions checks coming from updater. More or
less it checks every second "/f/buildbot/continuous/win/LATEST/
REVISION" URL and then it is redirected to "/f/chromium/continuous/win/
LATEST/REVISION". Then it receives a build number and stops... just
for a moment and starts checking again. This happens regardless of the
interval setting. Two HTTP requests every second all the time.

Could you please check if there is maybe kind of error in the checks
interval? If posisble you could change the URL permanently pointing to
the correct version number location. I use the latest Updater version
1.3.710.

mendres

Feb 27, 2011, 1:51:24 AM2/27/11
to Chromium Updater
Hi,

In general, this is the intended behaviour. For internal usage,
Chromium Updater checks whether there exists a network connection for
the reason to stop any other processing once no connection is
available. Probably there would be better options than using the built-
in version check for that, I guess, but I decided to run that routine,
because it also makes sure that the update server is available at that
time.

For the redirection, I will look into that one for the next update.
This is probably an issue, because the Chromium project often changes
download locations on its servers, sometimes simply by redirecting old
paths to the new ones and sometimes even without doing so, what means,
I have to change them manually within Chromium Updater.

Thanks for your report. I'll try to include your findings within the
next update, perhaps I will find a way to reduce network usage a bit.

123itsnotme

Feb 27, 2011, 6:09:59 AM2/27/11
to Chromium Updater
Hi,

I am not sure why do you need the connectivity on so constant basis.
Wouldn't be sufficient to check just before the the update time based
on the interval? I'm glad anyway that you are aware of such behavior.
If you could do anything to decrease the frequency in the next update
in the future that would be great. I think the also the Chromium
project servers guys would be grateful for not hitting them every
second by 100+ users :-).

Thanks for the support!