Installation issues

Pachuco

Oct 27, 2010, 8:17:00 AM10/27/10
to Chromium Updater
Hi,

I have installed the program three times (twice the latest version
1.3.700) on two different Win 7 Pro computers. In all cases the first
install did not work properly since:

- Options if selected would not be remembered and 'Channel Source' and
'Update Interval'
are greyed out
- It would keep downloading in a continuous loop (i.e. no subsequent
install)

Upon un-install I would be met with the error (clearly insufficient
user rights):

"Could not open key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ChromiumUpdater.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your
support personnel."

I would then manually delete the relevant key and entering setup take
the option of removal and/or reinstall. Then the Updater would work
but with the following (minor) issue of not loading automatically with
Windows.

Using Task Scheduler, the Updater subsequently works which in my case
means (upon booting up): it checks for an update, downloads and
installs it, and then closes down. That is convenient.

Thanks and regards!

mendres

Oct 27, 2010, 9:17:57 AM10/27/10
to Chromium Updater
Hi,

Thanks for sharing these information.

Downloading in a continuous loop has not been reported yet. Chromium
Updater reinitializes downloads when Chromium channels are unavailable
while downloading an update. That happens when a new build gets
available and the source download location is down for that moment. I
will look into the issue you described, but it would be useful to hear
other reports about that strange behavior.

"Channel Source" and "Update Interval" options are greyed out while a
download is in progress. This is working as intended.

For the installer issues, at the moment every installation will be
performed as a clean install. That means options are set to default
values. I did not find any way to get an update package working yet,
using Visual Studios Setup Bootstrapper. Insufficient user rights
should never occur since the installation process is led by Microsoft
Installer Services and they should ask the user for gaining more
rights via UAC automatically. There is nothing I can actually do
about, since Chromium Updater Setup needs those services to handle
such things right. Also, more reports about that issue are appreciated
to track down what's going wrong.

Cheers,
mendres