Let's get together and discuss common workflows

Felix Grützmacher

Feb 24, 2021, 2:25:50 PM2/24/21
to ChromeVox Discuss
Dear ChromeVox community and last but not least developers!
Last year we had some productive and fun conversations about the accessibility of Chrome OS using the Google Meet platform. Since there hasn't been a meeting of that kind in quite some time, I decided to try to get the ball rolling again.
The major downside of our past meetings was that they tended to drift off into freeform discussion of the more obscure and technical corners of the operating system. Being a software developer I find this fascinating, but at the same time I can see how it might scare off the average user who is more invested into editing documents and spreadsheets than the intricacies of using the Linux subsystem.
My suggestion, therefore, is as follows: Let's schedule the next meeting to take place during the next two weeks, and let us agree on a more structured, agenda-driven format. The agenda might look somewhat like the following:
- Meet and greet: 10 minutes
- What are you using your Chromebooks for? 20 minutes
- What are your top two frustrations working with ChromeVox? 20 minutes
- What are your top two workflows you are missing, that is, you find inaccessible? 20 minutes

In theory this would take about an hour, which means in practice we will probably be busy for at least 90 minutes, which is about the time the average human can meaningfully concentrate on one topic.
Of course Googlers are not just welcome but their presence is highly appreciated.
Before we schedule the meeting, let's get the agenda straight. Is there anything I have missed which you folks would love to see on it?
Very much looking forward to your responses!
Have a wonderful day,
Felix

Chime Hart

Feb 24, 2021, 2:36:07 PM2/24/21
to Felix Grützmacher, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Felix-and-All: I like your ajenda, however, unless folks actually involved
in developing ChromeVox are in attendance, we may be just talking amongst
ourselves, with little progress on issues which concern us. While I did have
quite valuable discussions with several members, only 1 or 2 sessions did any1
from Google attend, but that day I had so many issues with the process of
joining. I mean that platform is not nearly as simple as Zoom. Thanks so much
in advance
Chime

David Tseng

Feb 24, 2021, 3:20:38 PM2/24/21
to Chime Hart, Felix Grützmacher, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi all, David from the development team.

Though we cannot promise attendance, it is wonderful to see such meetings continue. One suggestion I do have is to capture any requests that come up in during the meeting and post with everyone here. If that motivates the meeting, then I think it'd be a worthwhile thing to do.

ANother idea, is to automatically transcribe the captioning in Google Meet. A quick search on the Chrome webstore shows some extensions/apps that do this though I cannot make a specific suggestion here.

Thanks,
David

Felix G.

Feb 24, 2021, 3:29:29 PM2/24/21
to David Tseng, Chime Hart, ChromeVox Discuss
Hello David and all,
thank you for expressing an interest. We will make sure to compile the
results somehow, and of course we hope for your attendance.
Best,
Felix

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 1:28:35 AM2/25/21
to Felix G., David Tseng, Chime Hart, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Felix, David, and chime. First of all I really wanna thank people
for some fun hours last year. But lets just be honest and admit it as
Felix says, it was the more geeky site of us, at least some of us that
did come out, and while that can be really good. Well it may not be
for everyone.
*looks at Felix* I can't see that you are missing anything so far,but
of course I wanna say this, it wast the same over and over that I did
meet last time, now this time around, if you are maybe sitting
thinking should i do this, will they welcome me also if i have
problems with languages? The short answer of course is yes.

Too Chime, I fail to see your point. Could you enlighten me?

Last but not least too David.
I do believe that I did start to capture some of the meetings. And
when I did I would write it before it started so those who were
joining knew what they were in for. If you have not got it , I can
repost it to the list.

/sandie
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/CA%2BMdDO_DHHncsHY1yd3J%2Bk8yB%2B-0Dar9kVCGTJKBXy8%3DtA2K6A%40mail.gmail.com.

Message has been deleted

henk...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2021, 3:55:01 AM2/25/21
to Felix Grützmacher, ChromeVox Discuss

Hi,

Sounds like a good idea.

I had intended to join some of the meetings last year, however they were always at a time I spend traveling and I am more interested in using Chromebook as a Chromebook than as a Linux computer.

With kind regards,

Henk.

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 4:23:33 AM2/25/21
to henk...@gmail.com, Felix Grützmacher, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Henk, in that case you should have been replying to some of the
many emails that were about the meeting last year, but better late
than never, as they say. I believe that i did ask for a better time,
but maybe i am mistaken, which of course gives me the opportunity to
ask again, what will be a good time for everyone?
I will be pressed for time at 8:30 am, danish time.
You want to use the chromebook as a chromebook, fine, but for what
purpose, share your ideas thoughts with the rest of us. I choose
because it have my interest to use my chromebook to do a lot of
things, i'm sure that google did not have them all in mind when they
created the pixel go.but that's another story.
I have a couple of things i wanna discuss on the meeting, i can't be
the only person who wanna edit video and sound.using playbooks, wait i
solved that one, at least as good as i can right now, but more about
that later.
Henk, gives us your thoughts, your ideas. I am sure that I am not the
only one who will welcome you with, as they say, open arms.

Namaste.
> <mailto:chromevox-disc...@googlegroups.com> .
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/3176430b-499b-4fa4-8823-6b93299e2691n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/00d001d70b53%24e44ece80%24acec6b80%24%40gmail.com.

henk...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2021, 5:30:00 AM2/25/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, Felix Grützmacher, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi,

I guess there's always a wrong time for someone, and I thought I would make it to 18:30 CET at least some times.

In general: I bought the ChromeBook as a ready-to-use web browser, so my first interest is there. If I want to do audio editing I go back to my Windows PC. However, I'd be happy to hear how others can make Chromebooks do things other than opening a lot of web sites. I simply lack the creativity to use it for other purposes.

With kind regards,

Henk.

Feb 25, 2021, 7:39:39 AM2/25/21
to henk...@gmail.com, Sandi Jazmin Kruse, ChromeVox Discuss
Hello everyone,
I also use mine mostly for surfing the web (Chrome), for dealing with
email (Gmail), for creating documents (Google Docs) and for listening
to videos and music (YouTube and YouTube Music).
The user experience with Chrome and ChromeVox is just amazing. If
there's one thing that this OS has got nailed, it's surfing the web,
which doesn't come as too much of a surprise given that's its primary
use case.
What I'd love to do is:
- Edit a text file; I can't believe one needs to jump through hoops
such as installing a third-party app just to edit a text file. It's
nothing short of a disgrace. ;-)
- Write code (that's basically the text editing thing on steroids)
- Record and edit audio
- Play old 80s text adventure games
And, sorry to say this, I don't want anyone to have to learn Linux
just to be able to accomplish the above. Having an operating system
designed in such a way that most of the cool things are impossible
without a VM is just weird, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be the
case.
Best,
Felix

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 8:28:20 AM2/25/21
to Felix G., henk...@gmail.com, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Felix, damn it , i was going to say that i can edit and record
audio, i do it all the time , but from the linux site of the fence. Is
it fair, no and well there are ways to do it , but it is in a weird
web interface, actually i had to get help from Henk before i found a
way of editing sound files. But we may see what comes down the road.
My list so far is

Editing , writing anything document, google docs, that also goes for this mail.
Mail, gmail.
Online chat.googlemeet, or something else me and a couple of friends
have going on in linux if we don't want people in our private lives
during sleeptime.
Chrome anything web related, and that goes for banking and looking at
medical stuff as well.
I love my chromebook, and for shopping over the net it is amazing, i
also used it for buying a few bitcoins back a couple of months ago,
which as we properly all know did turn out to be not so bad a
decision after all. I thought i was spoiled with mac, but let's just
say it, for the few things that Felix have mentioned, the chromebook
is pretty much amazing. I am with Felix, people should not have to
learn to use linux, but it is nice to have the option, for us who
dares to use dark magic. Smiles. And who news one vm with linx might
lead too one vm with windows , one day, you never know.

Chime Hart

Feb 25, 2021, 8:45:48 AM2/25/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Sandi: Well, since I don't keep messages I send out, can you please list an
item you want me to expand on. Thanks so much in advance
Chime

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 9:32:42 AM2/25/21
to Chime Hart, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Chime, I was just wondering about your thing about zoom being more
simple. If you watch my video or the sound file, seen in the rearview,
the video might be the easiest, it does not get easier than joining
the meetings. So I was just wondering how it was that you had a
different experience.
Namaste.

Sandie

Chime Hart

Feb 25, 2021, 9:46:30 AM2/25/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Thanks Sandi: First of all, going to that link you posted, like many google
pages, I only see a single link at that page which is not audio or video. As I
have been since 1995, useing LYNX in a Linux shell. It almost seems as if
google like microsoft likes to decide which browsers can view content. Now, as
to your question? With google meet, I must go through at least 2 or 3 hoops to
get in, as where in Zoom, after launching an app, its just a matter of typing a
meeting ID, eventually sometimes a password. In google meet, sometimes there
are extra sign ins or authentications. I would think once I am signed in on a
Chromebook, I shouldn't be nagged for 2 more askings just to join a meeting.
Hope that better explains my position.
Chime

Message has been deleted

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 10:50:16 AM2/25/21
to Chime Hart, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi Chime, first of all thank you for clarifying, i guess i can say
with relative ease what your problem is, you need to use your
chromebook, at least it might make your day easier, at least when you
want to watch on youtube.
As for the google meet. I have as you know 3 different chromebook, the
pigo, which has the most CPU, and ram, the 2 others are mere toys, but
even the Acer joined, although slowly the meeting today when i tested
it. When i stand on a google meeting link the following happens.
If it is not long time ago I have done this, I load the program, my
cam and Mic get activated as you could see in the movie, I then use
the shortcuts to find the join button, and click it and I am, in.
If it is sometime ago which it must have been with the acer, you just
press allow too what it needs to allow and that is that.
I understand your frustration, but I think you need to in this case
too see it like this, it is not a matter if google wanna decide what
you shall see, or not, but you who have to use a more inclusive
browser. If it helps you anything I can send you the ogg file where I
go through the login process step by step.

Namaste.

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 25, 2021, 2:56:21 PM2/25/21
to motaham0611, Felix G., henk...@gmail.com, ChromeVox Discuss
Hi, so, are we all in agreement with Felix’s approach?
If yes, shall we settle on a time, and date?

Namaste

On 2/25/21, motaham0611 <motah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> از گوشی هوشمند Samsung Galaxy ارسال شده است.
> -------- پیام اصلی --------از: "Felix G." <constantl...@gmail.com>
> تاریخ: ۲۰۲۱/۲/۲۵ ۱۶:۰۹ (GMT+03:30) گیرنده: henk...@gmail.com گیرنده کپی:
> Sandi Jazmin Kruse <sand...@gmail.com>, ChromeVox Discuss
> <chromevo...@googlegroups.com> موضوع: Re: Let's get together and
> discuss common workflows Hello everyone,I also use mine mostly for surfing
> the web (Chrome), for dealing withemail (Gmail), for creating documents
> (Google Docs) and for listeningto videos and music (YouTube and YouTube
> Music).The user experience with Chrome and ChromeVox is just amazing.
> Ifthere's one thing that this OS has got nailed, it's surfing the web,which
> doesn't come as too much of a surprise given that's its primaryuse case.What
> I'd love to do is:- Edit a text file; I can't believe one needs to jump
> through hoopssuch as installing a third-party app just to edit a text file.
> It'snothing short of a disgrace. ;-)- Write code (that's basically the text
> editing thing on steroids)- Record and edit audio- Play old 80s text
> adventure gamesAnd, sorry to say this, I don't want anyone to have to learn
> Linuxjust to be able to accomplish the above. Having an operating
> systemdesigned in such a way that most of the cool things are
> impossiblewithout a VM is just weird, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be
> thecase.Best,FelixAm Do., 25. Feb. 2021 um 11:29 Uhr schrieb
> Groups "ChromeVox Discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop
> receiving emails from it, send an email to
> chromevox-disc...@googlegroups.com.To view this discussion on
> the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/CA%2BMdDO89X_%3DFBp-L0Ao_1%2BMD2u2m0XrQpxPV8qi1G6cByVAQRg%40mail.gmail.com.
Message has been deleted

motaham0611

Feb 25, 2021, 7:01:11 PM2/25/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, Chime Hart, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss

از گوشی هوشمند Samsung Galaxy ارسال شده است.

موضوع: Re: Let's get together and discuss common workflows

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 26, 2021, 3:04:16 AM2/26/21
to motaham0611, Chime Hart, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Is it possible we could get some of the spammers off the list? I am
finding a little trying being told again and again how good Samsung
is.

On 2/26/21, motaham0611 <motah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> از گوشی هوشمند Samsung Galaxy ارسال شده است.
> -------- پیام اصلی --------از: Sandi Jazmin Kruse <sand...@gmail.com>
> تاریخ: ۲۰۲۱/۲/۲۵ ۱۹:۲۰ (GMT+03:30) گیرنده: Chime Hart
> <ch...@hubert-humphrey.com> گیرنده کپی: "Felix G."
> <constantl...@gmail.com>, David Tseng <dts...@google.com>, ChromeVox
> Discuss <chromevo...@googlegroups.com> موضوع: Re: Let's get together
> and discuss common workflows Hi Chime, first of all thank you for
> clarifying, i guess i can saywith relative ease what your problem is, you
> need to use yourchromebook, at least it might make your day easier, at least
> when youwant to watch on youtube.As for the google meet. I have as you know
> 3 different chromebook, thepigo, which has the most CPU, and ram, the 2
> others are mere toys, buteven the Acer joined, although slowly the meeting
> today when i testedit. When i stand on a google meeting link the following
> happens.If it is not long time ago I have done this, I load the program,
> mycam and Mic get activated as you could see in the movie, I then usethe
> shortcuts to find the join button, and click it and I am, in.If it is
> sometime ago which it must have been with the acer, you justpress allow too
> what it needs to allow and that is that.I understand your frustration, but I
> think you need to in this casetoo see it like this, it is not a matter if
> google wanna  decide whatyou shall see, or not, but you who have to use a
> more inclusivebrowser. If it helps you anything I can send you the ogg file
> where Igo through the login process step by step.Namaste.On 2/25/21, Chime
> Hart <ch...@hubert-humphrey.com> wrote:> Thanks Sandi: First of all, going
> to that link you posted, like many google>> pages, I only see a single link
> at that page which is not audio or video. As> I> have been since 1995,
> useing LYNX in  a Linux shell. It almost seems as if> google like microsoft
> likes to decide which browsers can view content. Now,> as> to your question?
> With google meet, I must go through at least 2 or 3 hoops> to> get in, as
> where in Zoom, after launching an app, its just a matter of> typing a>
> meeting ID, eventually sometimes a password. In google meet, sometimes
> there>> are extra sign ins or authentications. I would think once I am
> signed in on> a> Chromebook, I shouldn't be nagged for 2 more askings just
> to join a meeting.>> Hope that better explains my position.> Chime>>-- You
> received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "ChromeVox Discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
> emails from it, send an email to
> chromevox-disc...@googlegroups.com.To view this discussion on
> the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/CAMeN_%2BfswPk3OeTgjr%3D6KZQdbiRk6GrVqdBoVJSCt8KLYooMeQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/60383a43.1c69fb81.637b3.44a6%40mx.google.com.

mattias jonsson

Feb 26, 2021, 4:43:13 AM2/26/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, motaham0611, Chime Hart, Felix G., David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
The list admins seems not to care

Skickat från min iPad
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chromevox-discuss/CAMeN_%2BcAtmSHzKG-nLOnb48znZPnH4%3D7jFboax4%3DNxt1o9V7dQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Felix G.

Feb 26, 2021, 5:20:03 AM2/26/21
to mattias jonsson, Sandi Jazmin Kruse, motaham0611, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Hello,
could someone please enlighten me as to how I can mark a message as
spam in Gmail without marking the entire conversation? What would be
the exact key sequence when the message in question is selected?
Thank you and have a great day everyone,
Felix

Am Fr., 26. Feb. 2021 um 10:43 Uhr schrieb mattias jonsson

mattias jonsson

Feb 26, 2021, 5:41:43 AM2/26/21
to Felix G., Sandi Jazmin Kruse, motaham0611, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss

why the list admins donttake the  responsibility and ban / remove the spammers instead

kenny Hitt

Feb 26, 2021, 6:07:35 AM2/26/21
to Felix G., mattias jonsson, Sandi Jazmin Kruse, motaham0611, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss

Hi. I'm not sure you can do that. Worse, once you start marking messages from a mailing group is spam, all the messages from that group get shifted to your spam folder. At least, that's been my experience with this issue. The only good solution is for the list admin to block these people.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sandi Jazmin Kruse

Feb 26, 2021, 7:14:34 AM2/26/21
to motaham0611, hitt...@gmail.com, Felix G., mattias jonsson, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
looks like it

On 2/26/21, motaham0611 <motah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> از گوشی هوشمند Samsung Galaxy ارسال شده است.
> -------- پیام اصلی --------از: kenny Hitt <hitt...@gmail.com> تاریخ:
> ۲۰۲۱/۲/۲۶ ۱۴:۳۷ (GMT+03:30) گیرنده: "Felix G."
> <constantl...@gmail.com> گیرنده کپی: mattias jonsson
> <mjonss...@gmail.com>, Sandi Jazmin Kruse <sand...@gmail.com>,
> motaham0611 <motah...@gmail.com>, Chime Hart <ch...@hubert-humphrey.com>,
> David Tseng <dts...@google.com>, ChromeVox Discuss
> <chromevo...@googlegroups.com> موضوع: Re: Let's get together and
> discuss common workflows Hi. I'm not sure you can do that. Worse, once you

Felix G.

Feb 26, 2021, 7:19:52 AM2/26/21
to Sandi Jazmin Kruse, motaham0611, hitt...@gmail.com, mattias jonsson, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss
Dear Googlers reading here,
if you don't want this forum to die please remove those spammers.
We're doing quality work free of charge here to improve your products
by sharing strategies and providing feedback. Please give us a clean
platform for doing so and thus show us that you care.
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 26. Feb. 2021 um 13:14 Uhr schrieb Sandi Jazmin Kruse

kenny Hitt

Feb 26, 2021, 7:26:27 AM2/26/21
to motaham0611, Felix G., mattias jonsson, Sandi Jazmin Kruse, Chime Hart, David Tseng, ChromeVox Discuss

Hi. A better way to deal with this person instead of marking the conversation as spam will be to block their contact in Gmail. I'm not sure how to do it on a Chromebook, but it's an easy option to do on an Android phone.