Announcing upcoming changes to the ChromeDriver release process

Mathias Bynens

May 16, 2023, 7:49:01 AM5/16/23
to ChromeDriver Users

Hello ChromeDriver users,

Until now, ChromeDriver had its own release process, separate from the Chrome release process. We’ll continue to follow this process for the M114 release later this month.

After the M114 release, we’re making some changes to fully integrate ChromeDriver into the Chrome release process. Starting with M115, across all release channels (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary), every Chrome release that gets pushed to users automatically gets a correspondingly-versioned ChromeDriver release, available for download via Chrome for Testing infrastructure.

Here’s what will be changing as of M115:

  1. We’ll no longer provide manually curated release notes.

    1. Instead, view the commit history in your local Chromium checkout via git log chromium/src/chrome/test/chromedriver or online via https://github.com/chromium/chromium/commits/main/chrome/test/chromedriver.

  2. We’ll no longer update the ChromeDriver website for every release.

    1. Instead, consult the Chrome for Testing availability dashboard to view the latest Chrome + ChromeDriver releases per release channel (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary).

  3. We’ll no longer announce new releases via this email group.

    1. Instead, consult the Chrome for Testing availability dashboard to view the latest Chrome + ChromeDriver releases per release channel (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary).

    2. Please let us know if the dashboard and its JSON APIs aren’t sufficient for you to stay informed on new releases.

  4. The download location for ChromeDriver releases will change.

    1. This applies to both the old ChromeDriver Stable + Beta downloads at https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/ as well as the old Canary downloads at https://chromedriver.chromium.org/chromedriver-canary. We won’t publish new downloads to these locations in the future.

    2. Consult the Chrome for Testing availability dashboard to learn about the new URL format. Use @puppeteer/browsers to easily download and launch browser + driver binaries, or build your own custom solution using our JSON API endpoints.

We believe the new, automated, and aligned release process will significantly simplify the status quo, solving a number of issues:

  1. It completely eliminates the manual ChromeDriver release process.

  2. It aligns ChromeDriver releases with Chrome releases.

  3. It makes it significantly easier for users to download matching Chrome for Testing + ChromeDriver binaries.

Thanks for your continued support of ChromeDriver, and please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

The ChromeDriver Team

Jan Hansen

May 17, 2023, 3:56:02 AM5/17/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello Mathias.
Thank you for this information.
It looks really nice with the new JSON endpoints with download URLs.

I am expecting to download a chromedriver for win32 with the below URL obtained from the new JSON endpoint
{
"platform": "win32",
"url": "https://edgedl.me.gvt1.com/edgedl/chrome/chrome-for-testing/113.0.5672.63/win32/chrome-win32.zip"
},
But the file downloaded file does not contain the expected chromedriver  (like https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/113.0.5672.63/chromedriver_win32.zip )
Am I missing something or am I to early to use this ?

Thanks
Jan Hansen

Jan Hansen

May 17, 2023, 4:00:01 AM5/17/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Ah, I just noticed (on dashboard) that only the canary channel has chromedriver links right now.
My test was apparently a chrome release.

/Jan

Mathias Bynens

May 17, 2023, 4:57:27 AM5/17/23
to Jan Hansen, ChromeDriver Users
Exactly. For ChromeDriver assets, you’ll want to look at the `chromedriver` property under the `downloads` property in the JSON response.

ChromeDriver assets are only available from M115 onwards.

Jan Hansen

May 17, 2023, 7:13:06 AM5/17/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Now when the release process is being modernized I have a suggestion:
Please digitally sign the chromedriver.exe file, and please enrich the *.exe with version information (file metadata)

/Jan

San Ru

May 17, 2023, 4:21:47 PM5/17/23
to Mathias Bynens, ChromeDriver Users
Dear all,

It is not so clear for me as I'm not a total expert on the use of chrome driver.
However, I have developped a program for my organization that checks the chrome version and downloads automatically the right corresponding chrome driver version in case of change.

Does this change mean that each time chrome will be updated, the chrome driver will be automatically installed at the same time and the same place ? Or do we still have to download chrome driver automatically from the new end point ?

Also do the naming of the different versions will follow the same rules as previously ?

Finally, do you know when the release of the chrome version 115 will be done ?

Thank you in advance for your help as it seems that some works are in perspective for the update of my program.

Regards

Sandrine

Mathias Bynens

May 19, 2023, 4:31:21 AM5/19/23
to San Ru, ChromeDriver Users
On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 10:21 PM San Ru <sansan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

It is not so clear for me as I'm not a total expert on the use of chrome driver.
However, I have developped a program for my organization that checks the chrome version and downloads automatically the right corresponding chrome driver version in case of change.

Does this change mean that each time chrome will be updated, the chrome driver will be automatically installed at the same time and the same place ? Or do we still have to download chrome driver automatically from the new end point ?

ChromeDriver remains a separate download. You’d still need your script that downloads it from the new location. The good news is that the part of your script that handles “finding the corresponding ChromeDriver version” will no longer be needed, since every Chrome release will have a corresponding ChromeDriver version as well. Previously, that wasn’t guaranteed.

Also do the naming of the different versions will follow the same rules as previously ?

You can see the naming / URL format on the dashboard I linked to.

Finally, do you know when the release of the chrome version 115 will be done ?

https://chromestatus.com/roadmap says Chrome 115 is going Stable on July 12 2023.

Giovanni Bassi

Jun 5, 2023, 2:56:31 PM6/5/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Mathias, thank you for the information.

I'm the maintainer of a large package that installs Chromedriver, on npm.
A few questions:

1. Will old urls (based on chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com) continue to work? Will those stop to function for versions 114 and bellow,?
2. I see all urls start with "https://edgedl.me.gvt1.com/edgedl/chrome/chrome-for-testing/" and follow a specific pattern, is this pattern stable, or could it change? And could any other parts of it change, like the part in the path where the version is, or the format for the zip files (currently: "chromedriver-linux64.zip", "chromedriver-mac-arm64.zip", "chromedriver-mac-x64.zip", "chromedriver-win32.zip", "chromedriver-win64.zip").
I'm asking because I'd like to know if we can calculate the url from the Chrome version and platform, or if we will always need to query the provided API to get the download url.
3. Same question goes to all the provided api endpoints, is the schema fixed and final? I see the endpoints are not versioned, are you planning to introduce versioning to it at some point?

Thank you,

Giovanni Bassi

Mathias Bynens

Jun 6, 2023, 3:21:21 AM6/6/23
to Giovanni Bassi, ChromeDriver Users
Hi Giovanni,

1. We don’t currently have plans to empty the chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com bucket.
2. We don’t have plans to change the URL format, and we would like to avoid it if at all possible (as it would be painful not just for your package but also for our own tooling such as @puppeteer/browsers). That said, infrastructure changes beyond our immediate control might at some point force us to. This is why we provide the `-with-downloads` JSON endpoints.
3. The schema for the endpoints mentioned here https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/chrome-for-testing#json-api-endpoints is fixed and final. We’ll only ever make backwards compatible changes (e.g. adding a new property), if any. For changes beyond that, we’d add a new JSON endpoint instead.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks,
Mathias

RAHUL JAIN

Jun 22, 2023, 7:42:01 AM6/22/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Mathias,

Chrome.exe is working fine with selenium where I downloaded it manually based on my environment and just passed the location in my selenium with C# code. How to achieve it when its going to run on Jenkin server with multiple agent of different environment with selenium C# code?
Can you please share some sample for same?

Regards
Rahul Jain

Marian Kral

Jul 19, 2023, 4:08:29 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi,
Due to changes in ChromeDriver since version 115, it is not possible to download the driver for 115 on the website.
It is only possible to download a zip file that does not contain the ChromeDriver.exe file.

Please advise how it will work from version 115 with Windows?
How should I change settings for an existing project in C#?
How to change WebDriver.cs?
Is there any guidance for this?
Please help, urgently.

Regards,
MK
Dátum: štvrtok 22. júna 2023, čas: 13:42:01 UTC+2, odosielateľ: RAHUL JAIN

Mathias Bynens

Jul 19, 2023, 4:09:47 AM7/19/23
to Marian Kral, ChromeDriver Users
What URL are you using to download the ZIP file that does not contain chromedriver.exe?

Marian Kral

Jul 19, 2023, 4:12:35 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users

Mathias Bynens

Jul 19, 2023, 4:17:36 AM7/19/23
to Marian Kral, ChromeDriver Users
That’s the `chrome` download, not the `chromedriver` download. You want this one:

image.png

Marian Kral

Jul 19, 2023, 4:27:06 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Oh, got it, you are right.
I apologise.
Thank you very much.
Dátum: streda 19. júla 2023, čas: 10:17:36 UTC+2, odosielateľ: Mathias Bynens

Bala Kumar

Jul 19, 2023, 5:33:45 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello Mathias,

Can we automate the Chrome 115 (not chrome-for-testing) with this chromedriver. Or is there any restriction for this.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 19, 2023, 5:41:28 AM7/19/23
to Bala Kumar, ChromeDriver Users

Bala Kumar

Jul 19, 2023, 6:12:14 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
What are the differences between Actual Chrome release and chrome-for-testing. Is something not included or optimized for automation performance. Is this mentioned in any blog or something.
How can I ensure that automation using chrome-for-testing is enough to replicate the real cases by users using actual chrome?

Przemyslaw Czuj

Jul 19, 2023, 6:12:27 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi,

Is there a way for an automation to learn which version (or download URI) of chromedriver is the current stable? The JSON only lists all of the available versions, but it doesn't tell which one is the current one.

Previous API was able to give compatible chromedriver version and it's download URI if I had chrome version.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 19, 2023, 6:26:39 AM7/19/23
to Przemyslaw Czuj, ChromeDriver Users
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:12 PM 'Przemyslaw Czuj' via ChromeDriver Users <chromedri...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way for an automation to learn which version (or download URI) of chromedriver is the current stable? The JSON only lists all of the available versions, but it doesn't tell which one is the current one.

Previous API was able to give compatible chromedriver version and it's download URI if I had chrome version.

https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/chrome-for-testing#json-api-endpoints You probably want to use one of the "latest-patch-versions-per-build" endpoints. But you might not need to if you download both the Chrome (for Testing) + ChromeDriver binary for exactly the same version.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 19, 2023, 6:27:31 AM7/19/23
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:12 PM Bala Kumar <kbalak...@gmail.com> wrote:
What are the differences between Actual Chrome release and chrome-for-testing. Is something not included or optimized for automation performance. Is this mentioned in any blog or something.
How can I ensure that automation using chrome-for-testing is enough to replicate the real cases by users using actual chrome?

Gustavo Belini

Jul 19, 2023, 9:49:21 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Everyone, i hope you are doing well, i was wondering if there is any date realated to the release of this new version 115?

tks for your suport.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jayant fegade

Jul 19, 2023, 10:40:22 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users

why dont i see  Version 115.0.5790.99 in response of below url
https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/known-good-versions-with-downloads.json
On Wednesday, 19 July 2023 at 19:41:29 UTC+5:30 Vipin Muralee wrote:
Hello Mathias,

I downloaded the chromedriver for mac-arm64. It is still throwing chrome binary error

can you please help

David Engelmann

Jul 19, 2023, 11:19:01 AM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
is there a replacement for the old ` https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/LATEST_RELEASE` endpoint?

Korey Gambill

Jul 19, 2023, 12:18:11 PM7/19/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Are there plans to add .deb files for at least the google chrome download?

I made an install script that could get the latest versions, and then install google chrome and chrome-driver from the links - for example:
https://edgedl.me.gvt1.com/edgedl/chrome/chrome-for-testing/115.0.5790.98/linux64/chrome-linux64.zip
https://edgedl.me.gvt1.com/edgedl/chrome/chrome-for-testing/115.0.5790.98/linux64/chromedriver-linux64.zip

However, I ended up missing a lot of packages and I gave up before getting through the list because if package requirements change it will break the script anyways.
For now I think I will continue getting the chrome download through  apt-get install -y google-chrome-stable, and parsing the version to download the corresponding chrome-driver.

Also worth noting, but the chrome-linux64.zip does not include the google-chrome executable. So perhaps it wouldn't have worked anyways?

Narendra Reddy

Jul 20, 2023, 2:43:40 AM7/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Team,

Thank you for the the update!

I have following steps to download Chrome driver in my yml file.

wget -O /tmp/chromedriver.zip http://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/`
curl -sS chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/LATEST_RELEASE`/chromedriver_linux64.zip

Do I have any alternatives for above? As I wanted to automate my process as well.

Regards,
Narendra

Mathias Bynens

Jul 20, 2023, 3:19:00 AM7/20/23
to David Engelmann, ChromeDriver Users

Mathias Bynens

Jul 20, 2023, 3:20:24 AM7/20/23
to Korey Gambill, ChromeDriver Users
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 6:18 PM Korey Gambill <ko...@getluna.com> wrote:
Are there plans to add .deb files for at least the google chrome download?

There are no such plans.

Also worth noting, but the chrome-linux64.zip does not include the google-chrome executable. So perhaps it wouldn't have worked anyways?

The executable is called `chrome`.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 20, 2023, 3:21:38 AM7/20/23
to Narendra Reddy, ChromeDriver Users

Tim Mawson

Jul 20, 2023, 4:21:33 AM7/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
There's problem with the current "stable" release which is documented as  Chrome 115.0.5790.98 (Linux and Mac), 115.0.5790.98/99( Windows) @ https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/. However only 115.0.5790.98 is reported in the JSON endpoints, there is no 115.0.5790.99, which means I'm unable to automate fetching an appropriate ChromeDriver for the current Window Chrome installation.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 20, 2023, 4:39:44 AM7/20/23
to Tim Mawson, ChromeDriver Users
*.98/99 are A/B testing builds based off of the same Chrome revision. They are both guaranteed to be compatible with ChromeDriver *.98. For now, we recommend relying on the CfT JSON endpoints, and using the latest versions mentioned there for both Chrome (for Testing) + ChromeDriver binaries if possible.

If you insist on using a regular Chrome binary, and wish to find a corresponding ChromeDriver binary, check out the "latest-patch-versions-per-build" JSON API endpoints. This enables you to perform automated version selection similar to how it worked previously.

Dan Walker

Jul 20, 2023, 8:06:49 AM7/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
I just ran across this issue this morning.  Running Robot Framework in pycharm on mac arm64,  my browser got updated to 115, so getting errors about incompatible chrome driver.  I went to https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/#stable. and downloaded the chrome driver for 115.0.5790.98,  and copied the chromedriver file into my normal location in my python folder where robot looks for the chrome driver.   I now get this error when I try to run tests:

WebDriverException: Message: unknown error: cannot find Chrome binary
Stacktrace:

Since my browser auto-updated to 115, I need to use that version of the binary, but even though it's in the same exact location as it has been for a year.  python/robot is not finding it.  previously, I just had to copy that binary over anytime chrome got updated and it was fine.  How do I fix this?

Dan

Bill Karnavas

Jul 20, 2023, 9:30:45 AM7/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
This is the same problem I am having and posted about.

Bill

Mani Renukuntla

Jul 20, 2023, 9:14:55 PM7/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello @Mathias Bynens,

My Chrome is auto-updated from V114 to V115. I have downloaded the lats ChromeDriver version and moved it to the Path.
But, I'm still facing the error
"There is no [mac_arm64] chromedriver "latest" for browser google-chrome "115.0.5790" in cache
--> Get LATEST chromedriver version for google-chrome
Could you please resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 21, 2023, 3:35:11 AM7/21/23
to Dan Walker, ChromeDriver Users
We’re aware of an issue where ChromeDriver 115 on macOS doesn’t find the regular Google Chrome browser binary at its default location. The relevant crbug is https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1466427. We’ve already identified the issue and submitted a fix for M117, and are currently working on back-merging the fix to M115 and M116 as well. Until this process is complete, you can use any of the workarounds we’ve posted on GitHub.

Mathias Bynens

Jul 21, 2023, 3:36:30 AM7/21/23
to Mani Renukuntla, ChromeDriver Users

Vo Van Be Chin

Jul 21, 2023, 4:37:11 AM7/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Excuse me. Can I have a question
I checked and know chromedriver 115 is not exist in https://chromedriver.chromium.org/downloads.
When we can download chromedriver 115 on this website?
thank

Mathias Bynens

Jul 21, 2023, 4:41:13 AM7/21/23
to Vo Van Be Chin, ChromeDriver Users
Please read the announced changes at the top of this email thread :)

Vo Van Be Chin

Jul 21, 2023, 4:49:38 AM7/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
I read it.
Thanks alot

Message has been deleted

Tony Robinson

Jul 21, 2023, 2:51:08 PM7/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Several of my VMs used for executing automated tests received Chrome Browser version 115.0.5790.99. There is no corresponding download for 115.0.5790.99, only for 115.0.5790.98 and 115.0.5790.102.  I have scoured the JSON endpoints and 115.0.5790.99 Chrome Driver is not available. I read that Build 98 and 99 are testing builds based off the same iteration, but the availability of these testing builds created a situation where we cannot use the current implementation of corresponding versions between Chrome Browser and Chrome Driver. Is there an approach to provide chrome drivers for A/B test builds based on the same iteration like 115.0.5790.98 and 115.0.5790.99?

Mathias Bynens

Jul 24, 2023, 3:41:06 AM7/24/23
to Tony Robinson, ChromeDriver Users
Tony, making A/B test builds available via CfT is on our roadmap for this quarter. Until then, you can apply version selection using the new JSON API endpoints (https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/latest-patch-versions-per-build.json, or https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/latest-patch-versions-per-build-with-downloads.json to include the download URLs).

Lipi Parikh

Jul 24, 2023, 8:24:09 AM7/24/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Any updates when the changes to chromedriver 115 will be available?

David Jackman

Jul 25, 2023, 6:54:58 AM7/25/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi

We have come against the chrome binary not found issue with the latest version of Chrome (115). Noticed that others here are also experiencing the same issue, wondering if there are any updates to the fix yet?

Mathias Bynens

Jul 25, 2023, 7:05:14 AM7/25/23
to David Jackman, ChromeDriver Users
We’re aware of an issue where ChromeDriver 115 on macOS doesn’t find the regular Google Chrome browser binary at its default location. The relevant crbug is https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1466427. We’ve already identified the issue and submitted a fix for M117, and are currently working on back-merging the fix to M115 and M116 as well. Until this process is complete, you can use any of the workarounds we’ve posted on GitHub.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

rdw test

Jul 25, 2023, 7:42:52 AM7/25/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi, same sort of question: how is chromedriver supposed to find the CfT binary? I downloaded both ChromeDriver and Chrome with npx, using that ChromeDriver in Selenium starts the 'normal' Chrome (which currently is the wrong version). Is the recommended way to use options.BinaryLocation in this case? Or is there another best practice method?

Regards,
Jasper

rdw test

Jul 25, 2023, 7:44:35 AM7/25/23
to ChromeDriver Users
O, using a windows environment btw and C#

Op dinsdag 25 juli 2023 om 13:42:52 UTC+2 schreef rdw test:
Message has been deleted

Tom Daria

Jul 27, 2023, 2:14:40 PM7/27/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Will there be a fix for 115.0.5790.110 soon.
As for me this code is failing
var chrome = new DriverManager().SetUpDriver(new ChromeConfig(), VersionResolveStrategy.MatchingBrowser);
404 error file not found

Thanks

Tom

Don Leverton

Jul 27, 2023, 6:00:50 PM7/27/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Does anyone have VBA code to automate this in MS-ACCESS?

Amar Deep Singh

Jul 30, 2023, 12:33:42 AM7/30/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Team,

My Docker build is installing Beta version 116.0.5845.50 but I cannot find the corresponding chromedriver for it.
Here is my installation command

ARG CHROME_VERSION="google-chrome-beta"
RUN wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add - \
&& echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list \
&& apt-get update -qqy \
&& apt-get -qqy install \
${CHROME_VERSION:-google-chrome-stable} \
&& rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list \
&& rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* /var/cache/apt/*

Error while downloading chromedriver :

Where can I find chromedriver for 116.0.5845.50 ?

Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
Amar

Mathias Bynens

Jul 31, 2023, 1:23:09 AM7/31/23
to Amar Deep Singh, ChromeDriver Users
Hi Amar,

You’ll need to update your script to consider the Chrome for Testing JSON endpoints instead. Specifically, https://chromedriver.chromium.org/downloads/version-selection.

Naveen Singaraj

Jul 31, 2023, 1:08:50 PM7/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi,

I am trying to install chrome driver as mentioned here but I am getting 404 Error as below. Any idea what I am missing here? Is there a way to download specific version of chrome driver?

npx @puppeteer/browsers install chrome...@116.0.5793.0

Error: Download failed: server returned code 404. URL: https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/116.0.5793.0/chromedriver_win32.zip

Naveen Singaraj

Jul 31, 2023, 4:46:46 PM7/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Regarding my previous message, I wrongly pasted the command. Below is the command that I used to install chrome driver

npx @puppeteer/browsers install chromedriver@ 116.0.5793.0 ( I added space since chat complaints that it is a email address)

I also tried  npx @puppeteer/browsers install chromedriver@ stable but getting the same error

Maha Vignesh S

Aug 1, 2023, 2:16:18 AM8/1/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Team,

We are using chrome driver version 114.x and 115.x to launch chrome browser using Selenium Framework for testing. During this process multiple browser launch and close is done by our framework. Some times the Broswer launch fails and we have stacktrace from the chrome driver. Please help us understand what the below stack trace points.

  (Session info: chrome=115.0.5790.102)
Build info: version: 'unknown', revision: 'unknown', time: 'unknown'
os.name: 'Windows 10', os.arch: 'amd64', , java.version: '1.8.0_371'

Driver info: driver.version: ChromeDriver
remote stacktrace: Backtrace:
GetHandleVerifier [0x00C1A813+48355]
(No symbol) [0x00BAC4B1]
(No symbol) [0x00AB5358]
(No symbol) [0x00AB7D86]
(No symbol) [0x00AB99E1]
(No symbol) [0x00AB9A80]
(No symbol) [0x00B01F1B]
(No symbol) [0x00B0093C]
(No symbol) [0x00AFA536]
(No symbol) [0x00AD82DC]
(No symbol) [0x00AD93DD]
GetHandleVerifier [0x00E7AABD+2539405]
GetHandleVerifier [0x00EBA78F+2800735]
GetHandleVerifier [0x00EB456C+2775612]
GetHandleVerifier [0x00CA51E0+616112]
(No symbol) [0x00BB5F8C]
(No symbol) [0x00BB2328]
(No symbol) [0x00BB240B]
(No symbol) [0x00BA4FF7]
BaseThreadInitThunk [0x74DB00C9+25]
RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath [0x76F57B4E+286]
RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath [0x76F57B1E+238]

Please help us understanding the backstarce.

Mathias Bynens

Aug 1, 2023, 2:23:19 AM8/1/23
to Naveen Singaraj, ChromeDriver Users
It only works for versions that are available. You can find the list of those using the `known-good-versions` JSON API endpoints.

Naveen Singaraj

Aug 1, 2023, 8:13:10 AM8/1/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Mathias,

Thanks for your response. I checked the   `known-good-versions` JSON API endpoints and I can see 116.0.5793.0 listed there. I also tried bunch of other versions listed but no luck. However, I am able to download the respective version of chrome (npx @puppeteer/browsers install chrome). I am getting error for chromedriver install (npx @puppeteer/browsers install chromedriver). Is anyone else facing this issue?

Please let me know how to install chromedriver with specific version. Thanks in advance

Mathias Bynens

Aug 1, 2023, 8:53:35 AM8/1/23
to Naveen Singaraj, ChromeDriver Users

Arun T

Aug 2, 2023, 10:28:20 AM8/2/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Team.
    We automate hybrid apps with appium. We also have an option to auto-download Chromedriver. In order to automate, we need to switch between contexts (Web and native) . Context switching worked fine until Chrome driver version 115 in the app. However, now we are unable to switch to the web view available in the app with the latest Chrome driver. In Chrome, context switching is still successful. Are there any steps that need to be taken during the development of the app? Do you have any thoughts?

sumit ghorpade

Aug 2, 2023, 2:18:45 PM8/2/23
to ChromeDriver Users
"The good news is that the part of your script that handles “finding the corresponding ChromeDriver version” will no longer be needed, since every Chrome release will have a corresponding ChromeDriver version as well. Previously, that wasn’t guaranteed."

Does this mean, if my current chrome version is say ' 115.0.5790.102' ,  I can just use the url - ' https://edgedl.me.gvt1.com/edgedl/chrome/chrome-for-testing/115.0.5790.102/win32/chrome-win32.zip to download the corresponding driver?

Every chrome version would have exactly same driver version released ?

Regards,
Sumit
On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:01:21 PM UTC+5:30 Mathias Bynens wrote:
[...]

Mathias Bynens

Aug 3, 2023, 4:20:38 AM8/3/23
to sumit ghorpade, ChromeDriver Users
Hi Sumit,

That is indeed the goal of Chrome for Testing. Currently there are still a few edge cases where corresponding versions would not be available (e.g. for Windows A/B testing builds / different versions being the latest “Stable” across different platforms). Until we address those, we recommend you still use Version Selection via the new CfT JSON endpoints to find the matching ChromeDriver versions for a non-CfT Chrome binary.

Another option is to stop using the system-installed Chrome, and instead use CfT binaries for both Chrome and ChromeDriver. That way, the guarantee of having both on exactly the same version at all times is there.

Cheers,
Mathias

adrian gonzalez

Aug 3, 2023, 6:58:38 AM8/3/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi all,
I support the idea of Cft but I need to have a Chrome-based chromedriver. Cft is chromium-based and I specifically need to have Widevine Content Decryption Module installed so that I can test DRM playback. Is anyone facing the same issue? Is there any solution to these problem?
Thanks in advance!

Lori Templeton

Aug 3, 2023, 11:31:22 AM8/3/23
to ChromeDriver Users
When Updating my chrome driver from the new site to V.115  i also accidently installed Chrome for Testing.
   Philosophically I really want to run my tests in the exact same version of chrome our users use, not a different browser - "Chrome for Testing"
   Additionally I found Chrome for Testing won't play our JW-player embedded app which is part of our end to end test . All the other browsers including Chrome do run the player just fine.
So my questions:
    1- is there a way I can run my automated tests using v.115 driver against regular chrome?
    2 -If not how it the best way to report an issue with "Chrome for Testing"?

Thanks for any Help,
Lori

Michael Naumann

Aug 3, 2023, 11:38:15 AM8/3/23
to ChromeDriver Users
The latest v115 build (170) appears to work with the latest "regular" Chrome (also v115 build 170). This was just released within the past 24 hours (perhaps 18).

Lori Templeton

Aug 3, 2023, 12:03:46 PM8/3/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Thank you!  I deleted the Chrome for testing app and reinstalled my chrome driver and now its running against a regular chrome version.
I'm Relieved!!

Question:   what is the benefit or reason behind Chrome for Testing?

Liz Howe

Aug 5, 2023, 1:46:31 PM8/5/23
to ChromeDriver Users

"Starting with M115, across all release channels (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary), every Chrome release that gets pushed to users automatically gets a correspondingly-versioned ChromeDriver release," What exactly do you mean by "correspondingly"?
My current official build of chrome browser is 115.0.5790.171.

I assume:
- This means we can always find a chromedriver version 115.0.5790.XXX in googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/known-good-versions-with-downloads.json.
- Any chromedriver of version 115.0.5790.XXX will be able to work with the 115.0.5790.171 official build of chrome browser.
Thank you.

Yuliya Matusevich

Aug 20, 2023, 4:16:01 PM8/20/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi everyone,
" After the M114 release, we’re making some changes to fully integrate ChromeDriver into the Chrome release process. Starting with M115, across all release channels (Stable, Beta, Dev, Canary), every Chrome release that gets pushed to users automatically gets a correspondingly-versioned ChromeDriver release" My current build of Chrome browser is  116.0.5845.97 (Official Build) (64-bit).
So according to the new process I assume ChromeDriver to be updated to the corresponding version.
But it did not.
More than that even if I delete all data from chrome cashe, it still download automatically just v.114 of ChromeDriver. And of cause my tests fail with
 "org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: Could not start a new session. Response code 500. Message: session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version 114
Current browser version is 116.0.5845.97 with binary path C:\Program Files\..."

PLease clarify, how to solve.
Thanks

Rasolomanana Kotoarijaona

Aug 21, 2023, 1:42:14 AM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello!

For anyone (Linux and Mac User) who faces this issue :

Selenium::WebDriver::Error::SessionNotCreatedError:

           session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version

 this repo chrome-driver updater can help you to fix this issue by installing the latest chromedriver stable automatically according to the JSON API.

Thanks

Rohit Gulati

Aug 21, 2023, 10:47:44 AM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
hi Mathias,

Is GitHub.io the only site from where chromedriver can be downloaded? We have corporate restriction to access the site.

Is there an alternative chromedriver download site for stable version 115 onwards?

Rohit

matteo Angelotti

Aug 21, 2023, 11:40:01 AM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
I downloaded the Chrome driver for 116.0.5845.96 from here for Win64 https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/.
In Windows the last version of Chrome is 116.0.5845.97 ... My automation testing is working well in Windows 10 Pro but in Windows 11 Pro I have the error :
SessionNotCreatedException: Message: session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version 114
Current browser version is 116.0.5845.97
I verify I have the same code on the 2 machines... and the same browser version.

Rohit Gulati

Aug 21, 2023, 11:48:30 AM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
If I had access to GitHub.IO website, from the corporate network, I think I would not have issues with the ChromeDriver.. GitHub is a restricted site at work.

Is Google providing ChromeDriver from alternative sites for download or GitHub is the only option available?

Mike

Aug 21, 2023, 10:33:44 PM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Mathias Bynens: On the new json-endpoints - I noticed the resulting json for getting the release version data are ordered from oldest to newest.  So as the files grow, the cost to search/parse will increase. Have you considered publishing the json in reverse version order - newest to oldest?

Also, speaking of efficiency, do you think it's safe to "calculate" the driver download url from the retrieved version using, for example, the "latest-patch-versions-per-build.json", or would you recommend retrieving the url directly by parsing the more expensive "latest-patch-versions-per-build-with-downloads.json"? I'm hoping you will tell be its safe to calculate :-)

Thanks!

Guy Zehavi

Aug 21, 2023, 11:50:29 PM8/21/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Mathias Bynens,

Hope your day is going well. I was using Selenium for testing with Chromdriver via Selenium. I was previously using the following command in my Docker file to install Chrome version:

```
ARG CHROME_VERSION=116.0.5845.96-1 <- put the version here
ADD google-chrome.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo
RUN microdnf install -y google-chrome-stable-$CHROME_VERSION
```

with google-chrome.repo being:
```
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

```
Is there a new baseurl and/or gpgkey that I need to change? Or is this approach no longer correct? If not correct should I download the chrome-for-testing file from https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/ and copy it into the docker file (or is there a better/another way)?

Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

aakash.s...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2023, 1:39:15 AM8/22/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Resolution if you are using WebDriverManager:

If you are using webdrivermanager, update it to the latest version.
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/io.github.bonigarcia/webdrivermanager
Make sure to at least clear the driver cache once:
WebDriverManager.chromedriver().clearDriverCache().setup();

The issue happened due to recent change in the location for downloading chrome browser drivers.

Mathias Bynens

Aug 22, 2023, 6:35:28 AM8/22/23
to Mike, ChromeDriver Users
It’s safe to construct the URL yourself. This is exactly what we do in the reference implementation in @puppeteer/browsers. The only risk is that the URL format might change in the future (although we don’t have any such plans, and we’ll certainly try to avoid this) at which point you’d need to update your code.

Mike

Aug 28, 2023, 5:12:13 PM8/28/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Mathias Bynens: Thank-you for recently adding the 3 new shortcut end-points that emulate the old release api - awesome!!!!!

Mathias Bynens

Aug 29, 2023, 7:08:39 AM8/29/23
to Mike, ChromeDriver Users
You’re welcome, Mike :)

Sarah Dwyer

Aug 30, 2023, 3:52:56 PM8/30/23
to ChromeDriver Users
I'm having an issue because the debian package "google-chrome-stable" has version 116.0.5845.140 as the latest version. In my docker scripts I update google Chrome so this updates it to version 116.0.5845.140.

When I try to update ChromeDriver using the json endpoint (https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/last-known-good-versions-with-downloads.json) to match I see that the latest stable version is 116.0.5845.96 not  116.0.5845.140.

I thought there was always supposed to be a ChromeDriver version to match the Chrome releases. However; there is no 116.0.5845.140 ChromeDriver version. Currently I'm using the *.96 version of ChromeDriver which appears not to have conflicts with the Chrome version.

Should I always use the stable version of ChromeDriver and will it always work with the latest stable Chrome version even if the minor versions don't match? Or is something not quite right with the version of ChromeDriver missing?

Korey Gambill

Aug 30, 2023, 5:30:00 PM8/30/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Same issue as Sara Dwyer noted above

Our CICD pipeline just broke because 116.0.5845.140 is not released for ChromeDriver.
The easiest way to install chrome is through apt, which is why in my message above at Jul 19, 2023, 10:18:11 AM I had queried about getting a .deb file added to this download page rather than just a .zip.

It would be nice to just query the latest version of ChromeDriver and back into the Chrome version since ChromeDriver seems to lag behind sometimes, but I don't see a way to do that using apt.
If there is a way to download a .deb file instead of the .zip, I would be happy to just use the latest ChromeDriver version and install that version of Chrome from .deb.

Otherwise if someone can point me to a how-to guide for installing chrome and all it's dependencies from a zip file I would appreciate it. I was having a hard time with that.

Asfand Yar

Aug 31, 2023, 2:03:50 AM8/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Why web driver manager is not having the latest version? When ever I try to download driver via driver manager it returns 114v and not the latest.

Ravindra Yadav

Aug 31, 2023, 2:31:47 AM8/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
This Chrome For Testing changes are accommodated in the later version of Webdriver Manager,  use the latest WebDriver Manager

Mathias Bynens

Aug 31, 2023, 2:56:13 AM8/31/23
to Korey Gambill, ChromeDriver Users
Hi Sarah and Korey,

It sounds like you’re using apt to install (regular) Chrome, and then you need to find a matching ChromeDriver binary. This version selection process is described here: https://chromedriver.chromium.org/downloads/version-selection And it can still be done through the new Chrome for Testing endpoints.

However, if feasible, it might be easier to stop using apt to install Chrome and instead install Chrome for Testing (which is just as easy to do via https://pptr.dev/browsers-api). That way you're guaranteed to have a matching Chrome for Testing + ChromeDriver binary with exactly the same version.

Some extra background, in case interesting: https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/releases shows 116.0.5845.140 as being rolled out to 50%. Chrome for Testing currently only reliably gets 100% releases (but we’re working on that as well!). https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/ shows that 116.0.5845.140 is based on exactly the same revision as 116.0.5845.96, suggesting this could be an A/B test build.

Thanks,
Mathias

Elly Howell

Aug 31, 2023, 10:31:57 AM8/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello,

I am installing the latest stable version of Chrome (116.0.5845.140) and then grabbing the latest version of the testing driver, but the availablity for the latest 'Stable Upcoming' has been showing a 404 for about a day now.
Is this going to be resolved? I do not want to update processes to use hard-coded values.

Kind regards.
Message has been deleted

Wenjing Yuan

Aug 31, 2023, 10:44:44 AM8/31/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Mathias,

For pipeline, yes, it is an option, though not the best to move the Chrome installation to Chrome for Testing. But it is not practical for those of us also needs to run tests locally, either we need to disable the auto update of the browser which is not ideal for web development, or to download a different chrome every time this occurs. Is there any better solution?

We understand that your team is working hard to rolling out the new version. Our pipeline has been halted for the past two days due to this issue and we are hoping for a matching chrome driver any moment soon. We would like to know how should we move forward? Shouldn't we expect a matching chrome driver with the official stable chrome version?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Wenjing

Mathias Bynens

Aug 31, 2023, 11:18:38 AM8/31/23
to Wenjing Yuan, ChromeDriver Users
You should apply Version Selection as described here: https://chromedriver.chromium.org/downloads/version-selection Note that this is not new — it was already needed before these announced changes, just with different endpoints.

Message has been deleted

Wenjing Yuan

Sep 5, 2023, 10:19:59 AM9/5/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hi Mathias,

Thank you for the help. Now we have updated our pipeline with a stable version from "chrome for testing" instead of getting the default stable chrome from the OS.

Best regards,
Wenjing

Ron Keane

Sep 5, 2023, 10:12:23 PM9/5/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Our pipeline is set up similar to Sarah and Korey's. It's been working for a while. Version 116.0.5845.110 was the last version that worked for us. Version 116.0.5845.140 was the first version we ran into that didn't have a corresponding ChromeDriver.  I noticed that the stable version of chrome listed in the Chrome for Testing dashboard has been sitting at version 116.0.5845.96 for a while however the "Stable (upcoming)" version is updated each time a new release is announced and that previous "Stable (upcoming) version doesn't become the stable version. Is this expected behavior?

Jeff Sinclair

Sep 7, 2023, 10:21:15 PM9/7/23
to ChromeDriver Users
We are also suddenly experiencing the same issue with  116.0.5845.140.
Our git hub runner updated the version of chrome, but we are not able to download the correct version of the web driver.

Ignacio Rabadan

Sep 10, 2023, 7:44:33 AM9/10/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Dear all, I used to download in MacOS the chromedriver and put it in the specified path. Now I have no idea what to do because if I download the M116 chromedriver it is no more an exe but an APP and it is not working in Python anymore:

self.driver = webdriver.Chrome('./../SeleniumDrivers/googledriver.app/MacOs/chromedriver')

I have already expend more than 5 hours trying to find out how to invoke the new Chromedriver

Mathias Bynens

Sep 11, 2023, 3:19:04 AM9/11/23
to Ignacio Rabadan, ChromeDriver Users
Ignacio, where are you downloading ChromeDriver from? The CfT ChromeDriver binaries are not *.app files: https://googlechromelabs.github.io/chrome-for-testing/

IGNACIO RABADAN ESPAÑA

Sep 11, 2023, 5:53:16 AM9/11/23
to ChromeDriver Users
From https://chromedriver.chromium.org/downloads. I have found the issue, I was downloading the Chrome binary instead of the chromedriver binary.

Benoît Chomel

Sep 18, 2023, 4:45:18 AM9/18/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello Mathias,

While I understand the new process and the purpose of removing manual steps on your end (thanks for your post), not having release notes makes for a very difficult tracking of features/fixes.

For instance I'm having difficulties with the debuggerAddress capability which is returned as "-1" when creating new sessions.
I believe the regression is tracked through ticket 4533 and there is apparently a commit associated to it (85df5c7).
-> How can I know if and when it will be integrated in version 117 of chromedriver?

Or the other way around, I'm currently using chromedriver 117.0.5933.0.
-> How can I get the list of commits associated to it?
-> How can I get the list of commits integrated since the opening of version 117?

Would you be able to provide recommendations on how to retrieve that information?

Thanks,
Ben

Jonathan Velásquez

Sep 18, 2023, 4:45:01 PM9/18/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Is there any plan to make older browser versions available? It seems v 113.x is the older version supported, and I hoped to see version 90.x in the list.

Thanks

Mathias Bynens

Sep 20, 2023, 4:28:49 AM9/20/23
to Benoît Chomel, ChromeDriver Users
On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 10:45 AM Benoît Chomel <benoit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Mathias,

While I understand the new process and the purpose of removing manual steps on your end (thanks for your post), not having release notes makes for a very difficult tracking of features/fixes.

For instance I'm having difficulties with the debuggerAddress capability which is returned as "-1" when creating new sessions.
I believe the regression is tracked through ticket 4533 and there is apparently a commit associated to it (85df5c7).
-> How can I know if and when it will be integrated in version 117 of chromedriver?

As with any Chromium commit, you can take the commit hash and look it up on ChromiumDash to see the “first release” version: https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/commits?commit=85df5c7c9d0b1664119a011c62a460c15453c426

Mathias Bynens

Sep 20, 2023, 4:28:50 AM9/20/23
to Jonathan Velásquez, ChromeDriver Users
No.

It is loading more messages.