Chromedriver 109.0.5414.74 + Chrome *.75 leaves temporary files (again :_))

Jan Hansen

Jan 15, 2023, 8:37:32 AM1/15/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello Chromedriver team. Thank you for your hard work maintaining Chromedriver.

The recent Chromedriver 109.0.5414.74 + Chrome 109.0.5414.75 for Windows leaves the following temoprary files on the disk:
C:\Program files(x86)\Scoped_dir_??????
C:\Program Files\Chrome_componentUnpacker
C:\Program Files\Chrome_url_fetcher
C:\Program Files\ChromiumTemp
C:\Program Files\Chrome_BITS

I have confirmed that the 108 driver did not have this error.
It left temp files in the %temp% directory, usually C:\users\<name>\appdata\temp (desired behaviour)

This error has popped up now and then the past 3-4 years so it should be wellknown by now :-)

Please investigate this.
Thanks, Jan Hansen

Steven Erat

Mar 16, 2023, 1:21:15 PM3/16/23
to ChromeDriver Users
I've been dealing with issue too in our Selenium Grid, starting sometime in January. I've been managing it by scripting the deletion of those temp files in those locations daily.

Found some background about this here suggesting it is due to a security enhancement in Chromium:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/10euwk1/chrome_bits_folders_in_program_files/
https://github.com/chromium/chromium/commit/abe75b69

Saurabh Yadav

Jul 14, 2023, 3:35:57 AM7/14/23
to ChromeDriver Users
Hello Team,
 The same files are getting generated with 114 chromedriver as well. While running the selenium tests with proper close and quit methods as tear down process