Checking for website icons or something?

Carlos Eduardo Knippschild

Apr 29, 2010, 2:19:28 PM4/29/10
to chrome-delicious
Hello.

I have the "feeling" that the Delicious Chrome extension is having a weird behavior: it's somehow "checking" a bunch of my already added bookmarks for something. I remember that the Firefox version had a similar procedure to lookup for bookmark icons.

I noticed this problem when my Chrome history "magically" showed around 140 new entries, all created in less than 1 minute. I did not opened them "by hand" and all of them (no exceptions) are sites I have bookmarked in Delicious. It  happened right when I re-opened Chrome after returning from my lunch break.

This, as is, is already annoying. Beyond that, as is common in many companies, site accesses are monitored and logged; so you can already imagine the problem this random access from my bookmarks may cause...

Well, I can't say for sure that's delicious plugin fault, but it seems much like it is.

Any ideas on that?

Regards,
--
Carlos E. Knippschild - http://goo.gl/MBCA

Vivek

Apr 29, 2010, 3:25:17 PM4/29/10
to chrome-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I believe you have enabled sync which triggered all of this.

This is completely normal behavior when user wants to sync his Delicious bookmarks with his Chrome browser.

If you do not wish to happen this then just go to the extension options and disable the sync.

By default the sync is disabled and it only starts when users wants to sync.

HTH

-Vivek

Carlos Eduardo Knippschild

Apr 29, 2010, 4:27:26 PM4/29/10
to chrome-d...@googlegroups.com
OK. But I've got the following doubts then:
  • If I don't sync, will I be able to search locally through my bookmarks? In fact what I'd like to know is: what functionality will I lose by disabling sync?
  • And sync, AFAIK, should depend only on the delicious server, where my bookmarks are stored. Why also access every server to where the bookmarks point to?
Thanks!
--
Carlos E. Knippschild - http://goo.gl/MBCA

Vivek

Apr 30, 2010, 6:54:41 AM4/30/10
to chrome-d...@googlegroups.com
You are differentiating things here.

1. You will not be able to search your "Delicious bookmarks" when sync is disabled. Not sure what local bookmarks mean.
2. We do not visit any bookmark automatically in Chrome addon. We add your Delicious bookmarks to local bookmarks so that they come up in omnibar when you search.

Otherwise there is no API provided by Chrome to search your Delicious bookmarks.

-Vivek

Carlos Eduardo Knippschild

Apr 30, 2010, 9:54:29 AM4/30/10
to chrome-d...@googlegroups.com
Re-replying:

1. OK, no delicious bookmark search. What I meant by "search locally" was: searching my delicious bookmarks without having to use the delicious website (or any other website).
2. Now I see. So what I imagine is happening is that Google Chrome shows those automatically added bookmarks as history entries even though their respective website was not visited. Whew!

 Thanks!
--
Carlos E. Knippschild - http://goo.gl/MBCA