The Problem of Pride

Gaynell DeLappe

Jun 6, 2012, 3:57:45 PM6/6/12

The Problem of Pride

READ | 1 Samuel 13:1-14

Pride is a condition that is common to all mankind. Poverty does not deter it. Nor does age, ability, or experience protect us from it.

Consider Israel’s first king. The prophet Samuel publicly revealed that Saul was the Lord’s chosen leader. First Samuel 9:2 (niv) describes him as “an impressive young man without equal among the Israelites.” This description seems fitting for the nation’s first king. In his new position, Saul was to follow God’s instructions for the role of a national leader. He was promised that the Holy Spirit would come upon him in power and help him (1 Samuel 10:6-7).

Our Father treats us in a similar way—He’s chosen us to belong to His family. He has a plan for our lives and special work for us to do (Ephesians 2:10). The Holy Spirit dwells within us so He can guide and empower us to carry out divine plans. Our part is to obey.

To be successful, Saul needed to remember several things. Any authority he had came from the Lord. His responsibilities included executing God’s plan, leading the people by example, and obeying divine commands. Like so many of us today, Saul acted as if he were in charge rather than the Lord. He allowed the pressure of the situation to take precedence over obedience. Because of pride, he broke God’s law and exercised priestly responsibilities which were not rightly his.

Our Father wants us to deal with our pride by humbling ourselves before Him, confessing our sin, and seeking His help in overcoming it.

Copyright 2012 In Touch Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. www.intouch.org. In Touch grants permission to print for personal use only.