school and church closing

Sean Bird

Mar 15, 2020, 9:33:26 AM3/15/20
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
Praying for everyone's health.
About 100 years ago cities shut down schools and churches. One church explained their cancelling of services this way:
 "Inasmuch as it has seemed wise to the Commissioners of the District, after careful consideration of the question, to prohibit the gathering of the people on Sunday in their accustomed places of worship, may I suggest that at the usual hour of morning service you gather in your homes and unite in common prayer to the God of Nations and of families, that He will guide us in all wisdom in this time of trial, that our physicians and public officers may be led in their performance of duty and be strengthened by divine help, that the people may be wise and courageous, each in his place. Let us never forget that “Help cometh from the Lord which made heaven and earth.” Behold He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.""

Our services were cancelled and a video posted to finish off the Parable Series were were doing https://vimeo.com/397700689#t=2s

I posted on twitter yesterday "What will you (what will I) accomplish? Isaac Newton discovered calculus and advanced the field of physics in 1665 when his school shut down for the plague. http://nmspacemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.php?id=139 I guess I'll teach calculus & physics."

I've also made a goal to read Pilgrim's Progress to at least my youngest (and whoever else is around to listen. We are up the Christian approaching yonder Wicket Gate, but was turned off the path by Mr. Worldly Wiseman. Evangelist is having another conversation with Christian as he is below an ominous mountain.

What are you doing during school closer (did you close yet in your area?) and how are you and yours feeling?
My wife tested positive for strep throat a few days ago and shared it with me by coughing through the night :). I had quite the fever last Thursday night. Got started on antibiotics and have been fever free all of yesterday and today.

Sean Bird
@covenantbird
Teacher - AP Calculus & Physics
Covenant Christian High School
Indianapolis, IN
Psalm 111:2 “Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.”

Travis Bower

Mar 15, 2020, 10:54:25 AM3/15/20
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I plan to level-up with Spanish language learning.  Part of that is reading and listening to Spanish scripture.

Our school district is having us innovate with online-distance learning, so that is what I will embrace.

Travis Bower
Math Teacher
Dos Pueblos High School
tbower@sbunified.org
www.dphs.org
www.sbunified.org
805.968.2541 x4538

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This is a transmission from the Santa Barbara Unified School District and may contain privileged and confidential information. It, and any attachments, are intended only for the addressee(s) . If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited by applicable state and federal law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.

Santa Barbara Unified School District - "Every child, every chance, every day."

Sean Bird

Mar 15, 2020, 12:59:06 PM3/15/20
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I need a like button.
For my AP students I'll be using myap.classroom

For some classes and instruction I'll use google.meet and share my screen
(and mute some students but invite them to unmute themselves when they have questions or comments)

- Sean Bird

Tammy McClure

Mar 15, 2020, 1:53:23 PM3/15/20
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
We're going to try Google classroom at my school. We haven't been trained in any sitting online and a lot of our students' don't have internet access. But Google Classroom seems pretty intuitive  considering my seniors taught me everything I know about Google classroom in 5 minutes. LOL

I have three grandchildren staying with me through this school closure so my goal is to cook and clean and monitor three homeschoolers and teach three online classes with Google Classroom that I've never used before.  That's a lot of new in one Fell Swoop for me as I am still recovering from a 2010 brain injury and trusting that I get to borrow the mind of Christ whenever I need it.

I also intend to work through Kenneth Copeland Ministries Classic series [  - I have audio cassettes from the 1990's] and  dr. Kenneth Bough creation series [since one of  the kids is actually studying Creation in Public School science] with the kids .

If we have any spare time, I'm sure we'll be working towards the rendezvous aa1780 reenactment that we participate in every fall.

Keep in touch, let us know how things are going for you all
 Tammy McClure
 Scranton Pennsylvania