Joseph Addison - strengthen faith

Sean Bird

Sep 8, 2015, 11:23:02 AM9/8/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I was reading a historical fiction to some of my young ones and found out that one of George Washington's favorite authors was Joseph Addison. He wrote something that I thing my fellow math teachers will enjoy.

The following quote is from page 107 of Guns of Providence by Douglas Bond (I also found the original work of Addison online Number 465.)
Methods for confirming and strengthening faith:
"The first rule, therefore, which I shall lay down is this, that when by reading or discourse we find ourselves thoroughly convinced of the truth of a basic doctrine, and of the reasonableness of our belief in it, we should never after suffer ourselves to call it into question. It is in this manner that the mathematician proceeds upon propositions which he has once demonstrated, and though the demonstration my have slipped out of his memory, he builds upon the truth because he knows it was demonstrated."

To summarize the other points:
2) lay up in your memory and always be ready with those reasons that appear to you to be of greatest strength. [I'm reminded of 1 Peter 3:15, in NIV it used to say, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"]

3) Strengthen your faith with morality. They produce each other.
4) Worship and adore God
5) Regularly separate from the pleasures of the world to read the Bible and pray. [Romans 10:17 "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." All of Scripture is the inspired word of Christ.]

Addison concludes, "Faith and devotion naturally grow in the mind of every reasonable man, who sees the impress of Divine power and wisdom in every object on which he casts his eye. The Supreme Being has made the best arguments for his own existence in the formation of the heavens and the earth... 'The heavens declare the glory of God: and the firmament showeth his handiwork.'" [He was quoting from Psalm 19.]

--
Sean Bird
Covenant Christian High School

Heidi Rudolph

Sep 8, 2015, 11:50:22 AM9/8/15
to Christian Mathematics Teachers
QED~~

I do need to ask for prayers for a colleague who just miscarried on her first pregnancy.  :(

Ray Fox

Sep 8, 2015, 9:02:33 PM9/8/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
we will pray.

PLEASE NOTE:  This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and, therefore, may be subject to disclosure upon request under Ohio law.  However, if electronic communications contain student records or medical information, they shall be maintained as confidential to the fullest extent of the law.  If you have received this electronic communication erroneously, please notify the sender immediately.

Adam Pennell

Sep 10, 2015, 5:02:27 PM9/10/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
Heidi,

I will certainly pray for your colleague.  A miscarriage is difficult to handle.  My wife miscarried twice before we had our child.  Now, we have a wonderful five year old boy.  God can do incredible things.

Adam

Travis Bower

Sep 10, 2015, 6:48:37 PM9/10/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I think there had been several miscarriages before my mom had me.....[then she was killed by a drunk driver 2 months later]
For now we only see the bottom/back side of the beautiful tapestry that God is sewing.

Travis Bower
Math Teacher
Dos Pueblos High School
tbower@sbunified.org
www.dphs.org
www.sbunified.org
805.968.2541 x4538

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This is a transmission from the Santa Barbara Unified School District and may contain privileged and confidential information. It, and any attachments, are intended only for the addressee(s) . If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited by applicable state and federal law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.

Santa Barbara Unified School District - "Every child, every chance, every day."

Tammy Kramer

Jan 2, 2017, 8:08:22 PM1/2/17
to Christian Mathematics Teachers
Miscarriages are often caused by drinking raspberry tea.