[ ✝ ] Happy New Year A.D. 2017

Sean Bird

Jan 2, 2017, 10:14:18 PM1/2/17
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I've heard some say that a New Year Day is just another day and not any more special than other days.

But this past Lord's Day I heard that historically, different civilizations or cultures numbered their year according to a king's reign. For example, it mentions at this cite "it was the widespread practice in western Asia to use era year numbers according to the accession year of the monarch of the country involved. This practice was also followed by the united kingdom of Israel (e.g., 1 Kings 14:25), kingdom of Judah (e.g., 2 Kings 18:13)..."

AD 2017, means in the two thousand seventeenth year of the Lord. The reign of King Jesus is recognized almost world wide. In the most recent United States Presidential Proclamation for Thanksgiving Day it concludes, "IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twenty-third day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first."  (Here is a link to past edifying Thanksgiving Day Presidential Proclamations.)

One of my favorite theologians, the puritan John Owen, in the book 'Biblical Theology' often dated Old Testament events from the creation of the world. Similarly, I see here that similar to Anno Domini, or "in the year of our Lord", for some time the Hebrew calendar has been using Anno Mundi (Latin for "in the year of the world"; Hebrew: לבריאת העולם‎, "from the creation of the world").

--
Sean Bird
Covenant Christian High School

Ray Fox

Jan 2, 2017, 10:34:08 PM1/2/17
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
Very well put.

Thanks you,

Ray Fox

Mr Bird

Jan 2, 2017, 10:45:15 PM1/2/17
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
For some encouraging quotes from Owen's work that I mentioned, here is a link to a handout I put together some years ago.

Enjoy,
Sean Bird

(Thank you, Ray.)