[ ✝ ] Puritan quotes

Sean Bird

Sep 9, 2015, 4:36:24 PM9/9/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
I have really enjoyed reading Puritans and Scottish Covenanters. Here are a few quotes my fellow mathematics teachers may enjoy.
(I was reminded to share because of Elizabeth's recent enjoyable email.)

An early American Puritan, Thomas Shepherd, wrote to his son at Harvard saying,
"Remember that not only heavenly and spiritual knowledge descends from God, but also all natural and human learning and abilities; and therefore pray much, not only for the one but also for the other from the Father of Lights and mercies."

As we are to all, in a sense, to be ministers of the gospel, this quote from Richard Bernard is applicable: "Grammar, rhetoric, logic, physics, MATHEMATICS, metaphysics, ethics, politics, economics, and history are all useful to the minister of the gospel."

Samuel Willard wrote, "The Word of God and rule of religion teach us, not to destroy, but to improve every faculty that is in us ... to the glory of God who gave them to us."  That is a good message to students who may be suffering with senioritis or laziness.

--
Sean Bird
Covenant Christian High School

Ray Fox

Sep 9, 2015, 8:02:00 PM9/9/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for sharing these gems of wisdom from our forefathers.

Adam Pennell

Sep 10, 2015, 4:51:54 PM9/10/15
to christian-mathe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sean.  I enjoyed the quotes.