CFP: The Sixth Biennial Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives Conference

Mark Porter

Sep 14, 2020, 6:56:46 AM9/14/20
to Christian Congregational Music

Call for Papers
The Sixth Biennial
Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives Conference
Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford, United Kingdom
2-6 August 2021

Congregational music-making is a vital and vibrant practice within Christian communities worldwide. It reflects, informs, and articulates convictions and concerns that are irreducibly local even as it flows along global networks. Even in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Christian communities are reaffirming sacred music traditions, exploring digital technologies, and discovering innovative ways to remain connected and minister to believers during uncertain and unprecedented times.

The summer of 2021 marks the ten year anniversary of the Christian Congregational Music conference. Since its inception, the goal of the conference has been to expand the avenues of scholarly inquiry into congregational music-making by bringing together world-class scholars and practitioners to explore the varying cultural, social, and spiritual roles music plays in the life of various Christian communities around the world.

In spite of the challenges the pandemic poses to our traditional means of physically gathering at Ripon College in Cuddesdon, the Christian Congregational Music conference committee is working to develop ways for us to celebrate its ten year milestone in the safest and most engaging formats available. Therefore, we are pleased to invite proposals for the sixth biennial conference between Monday, August 2 and Friday, August 6, 2021. The conference will feature guest speakers, roundtables and workshops that reflect the ever-broadening scope of research and practice in Christian congregational music-making around the world.

Paper proposals for individual papers, organized panels, or roundtables on any topic related to the study of congregational music-making will be considered, but we especially welcome papers that explore one or more of the following themes:

  • Health and Wellbeing in Congregational Music
  • Hymn and Liturgy Creation
  • Congregational Music: Education, Teaching, and Pedagogy
  • Global Perspectives in Gospel Music
  • Congregational Music & Activism
  • Post-colonial Streams Across the Caribbean, South America, and First Peoples Communities
  • Congregational Music in the Wake of COVID-19 Global Pandemic
  • Times, Seasons and Liturgical Calendars

We are now accepting proposals (maximum 250 words) for individual papers and for organised panels consisting of three papers as well as roundtable proposals. The online proposal form and further details on the CFP can be found on the conference website: http://congregationalmusic.org/cfp2021.

Proposals must be received by 14 December 2020. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 31 January 2021 alongside up to date information regarding the conference format (i.e., online, hybrid, etc.). Conference registration will begin on 15 February 2021. Questions should be directed to Anna Nekola.

Mark Porter

Nov 30, 2020, 4:05:51 PM11/30/20
to Christian Congregational Music
This is a gentle reminder to the list that the CFP deadline for our 2021 conference is coming up in two weeks' time. We love reading through all your paper, panel and roundtable proposals, so please do keep them coming in.

Dr Mark Porter