Installfest at Cherry Hill Library

Bryan Quigley

Apr 2, 2014, 4:52:51 PM4/2/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

With the help of the Cherry Hill Library their will be an "XP to Linux (Ubuntu) Installationfest"[1] on May 3rd from 1 to 5pm.  It will be focused on XP users who will be getting a "lack of support" message from their machine on April 8th.

I'm envisioning:
 0 Making people sign the waiver
 1 a brief 10/20 minute intro to Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu (assuming we have a group at a time)
 2 then going around around the room evaluating each person/computer to see if their usage would work on Ubuntu - just a discussion
 3  Now starts the more one on one work of confirming that the hardware works, determining what that person wants (dual boot vs wipe everything), and then doing the install

I picked May 3rd so we can be deploying Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  I may still work on making a worksheet to help people make choices.  Currently, the plan would be to do install via USB sticks/CDs with the latest 14.04 image (maybe multisystem images).  (Ethernet connections may not be available).

So if you're free on May 3rd and want to help please let me know!  I'd also be happy to hear any Installfest pointers anyone may have (I already checked online docs like [2]).

Thanks!
Bryan

[1] http://host6.evanced.info/cherryhill/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5501&rts=&disptype=info&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=5/1/2014&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=ALL&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=
[2]https://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/Installfest-HOWTO

Michael Irwin

Apr 2, 2014, 4:55:55 PM4/2/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to, but will be out-of-town.

sorry :(

Mike Irwin

David A. Harding

Apr 2, 2014, 6:13:40 PM4/2/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:52:51PM -0700, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> "XP to Linux (Ubuntu) Installationfest" on May 3rd from 1 to 5pm.

Sounds cool. I'll be there!

-Dave
--
David A. Harding

Jim Fisher

Apr 2, 2014, 9:09:50 PM4/2/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
Would you like me to post this to the NJ and PA Ubuntu Local Community
Mailing lists?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to assist, but here are some quick
recommendations:

1) Have Lubuntu 12.04 install media for non-pae machines

2) Have cd media and usb

3) Have "alternate" install media

4) some form of external cd/dvd drive

5) have an awesome event!
> --

jim fisher
Jedijf
KC3BRA

irc freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
www.myfisher.org

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"
-- Jedi Master Yoda

David A. Harding

Apr 2, 2014, 9:21:22 PM4/2/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 09:09:50PM -0400, Jim Fisher wrote:
> Would you like me to post this to the NJ and PA Ubuntu Local Community
> Mailing lists?

Hey, Jim--- That'd be great! Thanks!

> 1) Have Lubuntu 12.04 install media for non-pae machines

An excellent idea.

> 4) some form of external cd/dvd drive

Ooh, I wouldn't have thought about that. I don't have one myself.
Bryan: how about you?

> 5) have an awesome event!

Thanks!

> KC3BRA

Nice. :-)

-Dave, KC2JSE
--
David A. Harding

David Bicking

Apr 3, 2014, 12:05:38 AM4/3/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
Would love to help, but I am committed to lead a hike that day.

David Bicking

Subject: [CHLUG] Installfest at Cherry Hill Library
To: ch...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 4:52 PM

Bryan Quigley

Apr 4, 2014, 11:39:55 AM4/4/14
to CHLUG
> 1) Have Lubuntu 12.04 install media for non-pae machines
That's more complicated then I first expected... see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE
For non-pae machines I think we'd want to go out of the *ubuntu family.

> > 4) some form of external cd/dvd drive
> Bryan: how about you?
Nope, I don't have one either.

Jim Fisher

Apr 4, 2014, 1:03:58 PM4/4/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
Actually, adding forcepae is the win - they get 14.04 and are good to go.

Hopefully, eventually it will be in the kernel options list.......

Jim Fisher

Apr 4, 2014, 1:04:31 PM4/4/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
or crunchbang them.

Jim Fisher

Apr 30, 2014, 4:42:49 PM4/30/14
to ch...@googlegroups.com
The Official Ubuntu 14.04 dvds just arrived.

How do I get them to someone before Saturday.

I am in Cinnaminson Thursday and Friday.