You Interested In A Meeting?

David A. Harding

Mar 2, 2012, 12:52:51 PM3/2/12
to CHLUG
Hey all,

I've received a few emails over the last several months from people
interested in attending a CHLUG meeting, but we've had no meetings
scheduled.

Does anyone have an interesting topic they want to present? Or are
ya'll interested in a more social coffeehouse meeting?

Let us know,

-Dave
--
David A. Harding http://dtrt.org/

dcpking

Mar 2, 2012, 2:41:50 PM3/2/12
to CHLUG
Well, I'm busy trying to get MS SQL Server to run in various VMs on my
Ubuntu laptop, so some people might be interested in a presentation on
virtualisation. However, how about a more informal get-together before
then - I think that more frequent "social" meetings would be a good
idea.

Mike Irwin http://tekstlogik.blogspot.com

Tim Cwik

Mar 2, 2012, 2:56:27 PM3/2/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in a social or a presentation style meeting.

Tim

jim fisher

Mar 2, 2012, 4:01:35 PM3/2/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late notice; you can warmup this weekend with the

Ubuntu Global Jam

We will be in irc Friday to Sunday to help anyone who needs it.
http://ubuntupennsylvania.org/?page_id=8

Plenty can be accomplished independently. Give it a try.

Sign up on Launchpad and join the Ubuntu Pennsylvania Loco Team:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3077663&postcount=1

Some suggestions to get started:

http://meta.askubuntu.com/questions/2565/how-can-we-participate-in-the-ubuntu-global-jam
(check all the links)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam?

If you are near Philadelphia on Sunday March 4th from 10am to 6pm some
of us will be having an event. Info Here:
http://ubuntupennsylvania.org/?p=109

--
jim fisher
Jedijf

irc freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
www.myfisher.org

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"
-- Jedi Master Yoda

jim fisher

Mar 2, 2012, 4:04:05 PM3/2/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
sorry, s/PA/NJ

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewJerseyTeam

Everything you need is here ^^^^

Event is still the same.

David Bicking

Mar 2, 2012, 5:00:57 PM3/2/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
My latest interesting project has been writing a program to extract
Outdoor Club data out of the Meetup.com events calendar and formatting
the data to be included in our printed newsletter.

The end result is all open source, but the working code is geared
towards windows, simply because I'm the only one in the group running
Linux. And I wanted a solution that they can take over when I leave.

The biggest design constraint was keeping the thing small; expecting
them to install Python or Perl was out of the question. I ended up
coding in FreeBasic with statically linked small libraries.

Does that sound interesting?

David Bicking

David A. Harding

Mar 5, 2012, 2:22:23 PM3/5/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
We've got two topic ideas (thanks Mike and David) and some interest in a
social meeting, so I say we go for a social meeting in April and a
presentation meeting in May.

For the April social meeting, our starter conversation will be "awesome
open source apps," so (optionally) bring your cell phone or tablet loaded
with your favorite open source app and be prepared to show it off.

For the May presentations: does anyone have a suggestion for a venue?
Some place with a projector would be appreciated, as long as the room
doesn't cost too much money.

I know it's a bit early to choose a date for April, but I went ahead and
started a poll to choose the social meeting date anyway (link below).
Unless we decide otherwise, we'll meet at Jersey Java in Haddonfield at
19:00 (7 PM) on the date chosen by the poll. Because April is so far
away, I'll keep the poll open until Midnight March 25th. (And I'll send
a reminder to the list a few days before the poll closes.)

Poll: http://www.doodle.com/whhy4k9kmwfebsew
Jersey Java Directions: http://wiki.dtrt.org/CHLUG/Jersey_Java/

NB: anyone who is interested in attending may vote in the poll--we're
especially interested in hearing from those who have never attended a
CHLUG meeting before.

We'll figure out a date for the May meeting after we choose out a
location.

If anything above doesn't sound right or if you have a suggestion,
please speak up before we start to make commitments.

Thanks all,

-Dave

P.S. We still have room for one more topic at the May presentation
meeting. This is your chance to show off the cool stuff you're
doing with Linux or open source software.

dcpking

Mar 5, 2012, 3:58:07 PM3/5/12
to CHLUG
For me, the FIRST Sunday seems appropriately named! I may still be
working away from the area so Saturday, Friday, and Sunday are
easiest, in that order ...

Mike

David A. Harding

Mar 22, 2012, 10:39:33 AM3/22/12
to ch...@googlegroups.com
In message <20120305192...@mail.dtrt.org>, David A. Harding wrote:
> I went ahead and started a poll to choose the social meeting date
> anyway (link below). Unless we decide otherwise, we'll meet at Jersey
> Java in Haddonfield at 19:00 (7 PM) on the date chosen by the poll.
> [...] I'll keep the poll open until Midnight March 25th.

Several people have voted in the poll, including two who haven't
attended meetings before. I'd love to have a few more old-school CHLUG
members vote too before the poll closes Sunday night.

Thanks,

-Dave

P.S. If you already voted, you can change your vote if you still have
the HTTP cookie from Doodle.com in your Web browser. If you can't
change your vote, just let me know your revised availability and
I'll manually update the poll.