Re: [ChiVinMoto]: Re: : crashed over the weekend - after incident report

Pwh...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2009, 7:31:42 PM7/13/09
to ChiVi...@googlegroups.com
I hate master links.  I only use riveted links.  They never come undone.  Tool will set you back about a "C" note, but how much do you value piece of mind?

Paul

TEAM...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2009, 12:03:14 AM7/14/09
to Pwh...@aol.com, ChiVi...@googlegroups.com
First and foremost, glad you're not hurt seriously and best wishes for a quick recovery for you and your bike.

Master link failure is not a common thing. There are three things that I do in the name of safety: 1: I never reuse a retaining clip. I always use a new clip at least, and more often than not I replace the master link every time I need to take the chain off. 2: I always make sure that the retaining clip is properly installed...that is that the back of the clip (closed end) is facing the direction of chain travel (forward) and 3: I safety wire the clip with a double wrap of stainless safety wire. Even if the clip breaks, the safety wire will hold it in place in the grooves on the pins. PLUS...I inspect my chain and master link every time I check tire pressure.

I was shown this by the late Tom Collins (AKA T.C.) the service manager at the old Midwest Triumph on Cicero avenue. He was an expert class flat tracker, # 36P, who built some pretty fast Triumph half milers in the late '60's early '70's. He took a shine to me and let me hang around the shop after school...he told me that little details like that could make a big difference...I've never experienced a chain failure on any bike.

Not that the rivet link is a bad idea, but on some vintage bikes, dirtbikes and bikes where you change gear ratios often, or if your wallet is a bit light, they're not practical.
"D" J V

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

jds-MothSteward

Jul 14, 2009, 12:37:01 AM7/14/09
to ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists

On Jul 13, 11:03 pm, TEAMGH...@aol.com wrote:
[snip]
> I safety wire the
> clip with a  double wrap of stainless safety wire. Even if the clip breaks,
> the safety wire  will hold it in place in the grooves on the pins. PLUS...I
> inspect my chain and  master link every time I check tire pressure.

Safety wire the master link clip: This I'd like to see. How do you
go about that and not interfere with the chain function? Wrap the
wire around the outer plate, and the clip? That plate would be an
outie, so minimal interference with the sprockets. Is this the
concept? Please elaborate on this a bit more, or point to a picture.

I rode to TWALD '08 on what I believe was a 38 year old chain and same
aged master link. I feel lucky.

--JDS

elitebreaks

Jul 14, 2009, 12:51:09 AM7/14/09
to ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists
I had assumed that the master link was riveted. It was a new chain,
like I said with less than 300 miles on it. As much as I would like to
take the credit and the blame myself for the link failure, when i
brought it to a shop to have a number of things done, I explicitly
told them that "I want that chain finished before I leave with
it"..assuming that I had left it in good hands, and that I wouldn't be
experiencing chain failure due to my own work. The chain was a special
order that had an additional 11 links over stock length.

Who knows, maybe it was faulty link, or wasn't installed correctly.

jds-MothSteward

Jul 14, 2009, 1:11:52 AM7/14/09
to ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists
Next time, buy from www.Motorcycleproshop.com You should be able to
buy a chain in the length you require (or longer), new.

Pwh...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2009, 8:33:50 PM7/14/09
to TEAM...@aol.com, ChiVi...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 7/13/2009 11:03:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time, TEAMGH218 writes:
Not that the rivet link is a bad idea, but on some vintage bikes, dirtbikes and bikes where you change gear ratios often, or if your wallet is a bit light, they're not practical.
"D" J V

Jim,

As always you bring up a good point.  Even when I was racing, I still would rivet them.  But "budget" and "racing" are oxymorons.

Paul

clarkkent

Jul 17, 2009, 6:47:01 PM7/17/09
to ChiVinMoto - Chicago Vintage Motorcyclists
I hate those clips also (sure we all agree)
O-ring chains are the worse to get the clip on.

I ran across a new tool that helps clip installation, however I spazed
where I saw it.
Could be at :
www.whitehorsepress.com

Pitposse