Latches in Chisel?

Øyvind Harboe

Dec 2, 2022, 8:12:11 AM12/2/22
to chisel-users
Latches in conversation are usually followed by a lively discussion...

I'm curious: where does Chisel stand on latches?

Is that something that is being considered, or is it out of scope for Chisel?

My thinking if that latches, and other more obscure Verilog features, must be used for some reason, then that's possible by writing a bit of Verilog "by hand" and using a Chisel BlackBox to interface to the logic...

Warren Savage

Dec 2, 2022, 12:24:57 PM12/2/22
to chisel-users
Oh for God's sake, I hope Chisel never supports native latches.   The lack of such Verilog-ish things is its greatest appeal.

Seriously, I think the existing inline Verilog coding is the perfect solution as it is.  If you want to design with a lot of these dangerous structures, stay in Verilog-land.

Hope that's lively enough.  :)