Chisel book translation

Martin Schoeberl

Mar 22, 2021, 12:32:37 PM3/22/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I would like to say a big thank you to Hung for translating “Digital Design with Chisel” to Vietnamese!

Also, a bit late, a big thank you to Yuda Wang for the Chinese version and the Japanese RISC-V Association for the Japanese translation.

All four version are available as free PDF [1]

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~masca/chisel-book.html

Jack Ma

Mar 23, 2021, 4:47:27 AM3/23/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
The current Chinese translation may use a machine or Google translation directly, which is difficult to understand. Even many places have opposite meanings to the original English, which is basically not suitable for learning.
I have thought about translating your book many times, but I gave up every time. Some of the reasons are that I want to write a separate book, and the other reason is that some time ago your code examples are based on an outdated Chisel version(based on scala2.11?), which I mentioned here .

Maybe wait until you release the third edition and update to the newer Chisel version, I will try to translate again.

XinJun Ma

Martin Schoeberl <mar...@jopdesign.com> 于2021年3月23日周二 上午12:32写道:

Mr. Yuda Wang

Mar 24, 2021, 3:03:12 AM3/24/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jack,

Here is the edit link for the 3rd version: https://www.overleaf.com/4721518999gqzgtckqjhgh
Still under updating and reviewing. Maybe it's a good start for you.

Best,
Yuda

Martin Schoeberl

Mar 31, 2021, 6:54:50 AM3/31/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
Good that you two are working on an update!

The Chisel version is not so off from the current one, so I think it still makes sense to do the translation.

I will do a third edition till the end of the semester (including an update to Chisel 3.5). Updating then the code in the Chinese translation should be almost automatic if you keep the include form the generated code.

Cheers,
Martin