The EasySoC Diagrammer plugin is now free and open source

Jack Ma

Apr 13, 2021, 9:50:25 AM4/13/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
If you haven’t heard of this plugin, its function is to visualize your Chisel/Firrtl design in an interactive diagram.
the code, https://github.com/easysoc/easysoc-diagrammer

Hope it will be helpful for understanding those circuit designs based on Chisel.

Øyvind Harboe

Apr 27, 2021, 2:18:35 AM4/27/21
to chisel-users
Interesting!

Some comments:

1. I found that the Chisel diagrammer project didn't work for non-trivial sized FIRRTL files. Also, I think the diagrams in your screenshots look a lot better than what .dot provides for diagrammer out of the box.
2. There are a lot of modules and moving parts for someone who just wants to try it out. Several modules + conversion steps. I expect more would try it out if there was a single command line to run.... I gather this is written in Java and Chisel users already have sbt installed, so could a snippet be added to build.sbt to create a target to view .firrtl files? No need to install anything... Requires deploying your modules as maven repository files...

Jack Ma

Apr 28, 2021, 6:01:11 AM4/28/21
to chisel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harboe,
Thank you for your interest. I think you need to understand the usage
of Chisel-related libraries and know more about Intellij IDEA, why it
is the best Scala/Chisel editor, and avoid using the sbt command as
much as possible.

Øyvind Harboe <oyvind...@gmail.com> 于2021年4月27日周二 下午2:18写道:

Øyvind Harboe

May 19, 2021, 8:09:23 AM5/19/21
to chisel-users
Thanks!

We're using Visual Studio Code. Chisel is only one thing that we're working on, so we prefer Visual Studio Code, because it does a really good job for a number of programming paradigms and languages + there's no bother with licensing. Visual Studio Code Scala/Chisel debugging is very nearly non-existant, would be my biggest complain about Visual Studio Code for Chisel.

For each of Python, C++, Chisel, bash, Verilog, etc. there is a unique best IDE/editor solution, sure, but we prefer to use Visual Studio Code across the board and standardize on configuration/documentation of workflow. This makes it easier for a predominantely C++ programmer to drop into Chisel and vice versa.