Editing and deleting music in the DJDB

Jonathan Carson

Aug 8, 2014, 8:04:50 PM8/8/14
to chir...@googlegroups.com
Hi ChirpDev,

One of the things I've decided to take a look at is allowing the music collection to be editable at the Music Director security level. This would include modifying song tags, album names, artist names, etc.

Adding code to modify the DJDB is relatively straightforward. I can add Django forms and code to do this. However, this would only change data in the Google data store. As someone who is new to the organization and doesn't know the ins and outs of the technical layout here, I am not sure this would be sufficient. My concern is the various "other" music data stores that exist in the organization, and how they are kept in sync with one another. I've found the following "databases" just by going through Git (though I'm not sure if there are any more I am unaware of):

1. Traktor NML file.
2. Digital mp3 library.
3. Google data store (DJDB).

From looking through the code briefly, it looks like when you import new albums, it creates the Vaktor NML file and also uploads all new data to the DJDB. So if I just modified a song name in the DJDB, it would not be updated in Traktor or the mp3 library. In addition it may be overwritten the next time an album import is executed.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on these concerns? Would it be alright to simply make the DJDB editable and not worry about synchronizing changes with the other data stores? This would allow the music directors to clean up the DJDB for the purposes of the Playlist Tracker, album reviews, etc., but I am not sure if this is sufficient. Any input would be appreciated!

Jon

Kumar McMillan

Aug 8, 2014, 10:15:23 PM8/8/14
to chir...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Jonathan Carson <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

From looking through the code briefly, it looks like when you import new albums, it creates the Vaktor NML file and also uploads all new data to the DJDB. So if I just modified a song name in the DJDB, it would not be updated in Traktor or the mp3 library. In addition it may be overwritten the next time an album import is executed.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on these concerns? Would it be alright to simply make the DJDB editable and not worry about synchronizing changes with the other data stores?

I'm not sure of the answer to these questions but I think there are a couple challenges here and you just need to weigh the pros and cons of an approach.

- Synchronizing data in many places is really hard. The easiest thing would be to make one source of truth, like the Google data store DJDB
- Currently any edits made in Traktor are already erased periodically with each import so you can ignore that.
- The digital mp3 library (an sqlite file) is treated as the source of truth right now for building the Traktor library. So, yeah.
- Rather than "editing" it might be easier to revoke (or hide) bad data and enter in new data.

Maybe it's best to start by asking the music director folks where the major pain points are in not being able to edit things. That would lead you to what needs fixing first.

This would allow the music directors to clean up the DJDB for the purposes of the Playlist Tracker, album reviews, etc., but I am not sure if this is sufficient. Any input would be appreciated!

Jon

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ChirpDev" group.