Reviews & the DJDB

a h schmidt

Apr 12, 2015, 2:45:19 PM4/12/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
Hey everybody,

  What is the process for a review becoming complete and getting into the DJDB? Can anyone do this or is it a music dept. thing?

--Aaron

Kumar McMillan

Apr 12, 2015, 7:43:47 PM4/12/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
Last I heard only music dept folks could add reviews. I had suggested letting anyone add reviews but maybe requiring someone from the music dept to approve the review. This would cut down on work the music dept has to do.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ChirpDev" group.

Tony Breed

Apr 12, 2015, 8:27:51 PM4/12/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
Aaron, before the review is added (which I believe is manual), the album has to be imported into Traktor and added to the database.

There's a process to import automatically, but it's touchy, and a bit of a problem. The music department heads know more about that, and the work being done to fix it.

Tony

Patrick Masterson

Apr 13, 2015, 11:28:09 AM4/13/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
The process in a bit more detail:

1. Review is submitted by reviewer to reviews@ Gmail account
2. Volunteer hour(s) logged in XLS and review formatted to Music Dept. standards for label/DJDB
3. Music downloaded to in-office MD Mac from SendSpace (or ripped from CD)
4. Import run, which has the music pushed to Traktor and an entry created for the music in the DJDB
5. Volunteer manually adds review and recommended/profanity tracks as a final step - volunteers with Reviewer access can add reviews on their own

Albums are rejected if the criteria aren't met (e.g., matching ID3 tags, all songs being present, no errant characters, etc.). Work on the Importer has stalled out for the time being, though that's largely because the developer on the project has been busy with his real life and was getting to a point where he was ready to hand over the keys.

PM

a h schmidt

Apr 13, 2015, 11:30:17 AM4/13/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the details folks.  We are exploring what is feasible with the reviews as they are such an important part of how the DJDB works. I may reach out with some more questions later on this week.

--Aaron

Billy Kalb

Apr 13, 2015, 11:30:37 AM4/13/15
to chir...@googlegroups.com, chir...@googlegroups.com
Yes -- I'll add that anyone can submit a review; only designated users can post them to the DJDB. But the music department has loads of volunteers who are trained to do this, so there's no real shortage of people.