Making changes to the device tree

Aditya Badole

Jun 13, 2024, 12:42:44 AMJun 13
to Chipyard
Hi all!
I wanted to make some changes to the device tree, specifically the memory nodes. I tried hacking something together in generators/rocket-chip/src/main/scala/diplomacy/DeviceTree.scala, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. I'm building the AFI for the CVA6 config. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry Zhao

Jun 13, 2024, 12:58:52 PMJun 13
to chip...@googlegroups.com
Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to alter?

-Jerry

Aditya Badole

Jun 13, 2024, 1:17:20 PMJun 13
to Chipyard
Hi Jerry,
Essentially I want some section of the main memory to not be visible to the OS. Specifically, I want to reserve a block of about 256MB at the end of the physical region.

Jerry Zhao

Jun 13, 2024, 2:29:21 PMJun 13
to chip...@googlegroups.com
IMO it is easier to hack around in SW to achieve this goal, than to mess around with the in-ROM-DTB.

I would do this by modifying the generated DTS by hand to excise the last 256 MB. Then configure OpenSBI to pass my modified DTS to the kernel, instead of the one baked into the ROM.

-Jerry