Connecting Multiple Chips created from WithHomogeneousMultiChip to a Single Blackbox

Tim Heaton

Jul 8, 2024, 4:25:58 PMJul 8
to Chipyard
Hey,

Is there a recommended way to connect N number of chips generated from the WithHomogeneousMultiChip mixin to a single module in a HarnessBinder?

Typically in a single chip build, I would instantiate some blackbox in a HarnessBinder and then connect the port from my chip to it.
But when I have 4 chips that need connected to a single blackbox, it's not obvious to me where to place the blackbox.

Putting it in a normal HarnessBinder will give me 4 instances of the blackbox, which would be wrong.
Putting it in a MultiHarnessBinder will require me to call the binder 4 times, but I will still get multiple instances of the blackbox.

My roundabout way to getting around this is to put the blackbox in a single HarnessBinder that only chip0 uses and then connect the rest of the chips to chip0, passthrough the IO, and then connect a special "passthrough port" to the HarnessBinder.

Am I tunnel visioning something simple, or is this something which doesn't really exist yet?

Thanks!

Jerry Zhao

Jul 9, 2024, 10:03:42 PMJul 9
to chip...@googlegroups.com
I think this doesn't quite exist yet... and it would be difficult to generalize.

You can create a CustomTestHarness that extends TestHarness, but implements some custom stuff around the `lazyDuts` list of ChipTops.

Then, at the makefile, you can use `MODEL=CustomTestHarness` to build the non-default TestHarness.

-Jerry