BED files for GREAT program

Archibald Perkins

Oct 29, 2013, 12:57:24 PM10/29/13
to chi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we received a .bed file for a ChIP experiment and want to use the Stanford GREAT program (http://bejerano.stanford.edu/great/public/html/) to generate a list of genes located near the transcription factor binding sites. However, the GREAT program only allows .bed files up to 50 megabytes, and our data is 1200 megabytes (not sure why it is so big).

Is it possible to use the QuEST program to generate a list similar to that provided by the GREAT program?

Or, is it possible to use QuEST program to generate a smaller .bed file that can then be uploaded into the GREAT program?

Thanks.

Anton

Oct 29, 2013, 2:54:08 PM10/29/13
to chi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Archibald, can you please paste a few lines from your bed files?
Use
head -10 yourfile.bed

Hunter Richards

Oct 29, 2013, 3:28:36 PM10/29/13
to chi...@googlegroups.com
How many lines of data is it? There might be too many genomic sites in your file to generate any output since you might hit most or all the genes in the genome. That's happened to me before, and the bed file wasn't anywhere near 50 MB.

--

---

Hunter Richards
Postdoctoral Scientist
Department of Genome Dynamics
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Rd, Bldg 977-138
University of California, Berkeley, 94720
510-486-4663

Archibald Perkins

Oct 29, 2013, 7:47:45 PM10/29/13
to chi...@googlegroups.com