Facilitators: preparing for Cambridge.

Andrew Back

Apr 23, 2014, 1:08:51 PM4/23/14
to chip...@googlegroups.com
This is one for those involved in helping to run the workshop:

Aside from having a lovely venue to host us for the weekend (thanks to Saar and the other Makespace folks!), hardware for those who don't have a board and refreshments (thanks to Embecosm!), what else do we need to do in terms of preparation? Looking at my notes from last year, we could perhaps:

* Send out an e-mail to those registered to ensure that they install the tools in advance and attempt to build a simple project to verify the install

* Also send toolchain install instructions for those who are particularly interested in OpenRISC, so that they can set this up in advance also

* Expand on the present documentation

Anything else?

Cheers,

Andrew

Omer Kilic

Apr 23, 2014, 2:44:58 PM4/23/14
to Andrew Back, chip...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall there were talks of creating a VM image with all the tools installed, what was the outcome of that discussion?

Cheers,
Omer.

Andrew Back

Apr 26, 2014, 4:20:55 AM4/26/14
to Omer Kilic, chip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Omer,

On 23 April 2014 19:44, Omer Kilic <omer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to recall there were talks of creating a VM image with all the tools
> installed, what was the outcome of that discussion?

There was and I'm not sure. Having a memory stick with a VM and
VirtualBox or similar installers would seem like a good precautionary
measure. Although I'm not sure how reliable USB pass-through may prove
to be when to comes to programming... I'll try and test this out. The
other potential issue that comes to mind is licensing.

Cheers,

Andrew
--
Andrew Back
http://carrierdetect.com

Julius Baxter

Apr 27, 2014, 6:55:08 AM4/27/14
to Andrew Back, Omer Kilic, chip...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Andrew Back <arb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Omer,
>
> On 23 April 2014 19:44, Omer Kilic <omer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I seem to recall there were talks of creating a VM image with all the tools
>> installed, what was the outcome of that discussion?
>
> There was and I'm not sure. Having a memory stick with a VM and
> VirtualBox or similar installers would seem like a good precautionary
> measure. Although I'm not sure how reliable USB pass-through may prove
> to be when to comes to programming... I'll try and test this out. The
> other potential issue that comes to mind is licensing.

This is a good option. I'll start looking into this, as you're right,
half the battle of this stuff is setting up the environment. The USB
attachment may be an issue, I'll have a go, too.

What licensing issues are you worried about? Is it to do with bundling
a pre-installed version of the Altera tools?

Cheers

Julius

Andrew Back

Apr 27, 2014, 7:09:12 AM4/27/14
to Julius Baxter, Omer Kilic, chip...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I imagine that by downloading you enter into a licence agreement and that precludes redistribution.

Does anyone know an Altera FAE we could ask?

Cheers,

Andrew