A Chip hack event in New Zealand?

Mike Field

Jul 9, 2013, 1:24:49 AM7/9/13
to chip...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm thinking of organising a chip-hack like event in Christchurch (New Zealand) . It's just in the earliest stages of planning, (I've got some ideas up on http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/FPGA_Workshop).

What sort of people turned up for your Chip Hack? The photos make it look like you underestimated the numbers..

I am very interested in any suggestions you may have. How did you organise the loan DE0 Nano boards for the day? Did somebody end up with a stack of boards in their garage?

Kind regards,

Mike

Jeremy Bennett

Jul 9, 2013, 5:08:07 AM7/9/13
to chip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I should have added that all the lecturers gave their time freely, which
is what made it possible to run at all. The time preparing and then
presenting their courses was substantial. I know they'll appreciate
their work being reused and credited the other side of the world.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050

saar drimer

Jul 19, 2013, 11:56:02 AM7/19/13
to Jeremy Bennett, chip...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike.

As one of the instructors, I'd be delighted if you run the course based on our material, and be able to contribute back to it.

Very briefly regarding your other questions, here's some of what I've learned from the experience:

-- have material for those who advance quickly, but also for those who need more basic building blocks; plan for a range of backgrounds
-- attempt to have all necessary tools installed before the workshop; we couldn't come up with an ideal way of doing this, but during the workshop it proved a real pain to get everyone going
-- have the workshop in a place with reliable internet connection
-- Embecosm kindly sponsored the event and provided the DE0. Can you find a sponsor? Maybe ask people to buy one (beforehand or from you on the day) -- they're not that expensive
-- be explicit about what people may expect on the day when you advertise the event; some people may not be too familiar with the workshop style, and expect more of a seminar type of event

Sorry for the late reply, but this IS the place to ask these questions, so please keep the thread going if you need more input.

cheers,
saar.