Any programmers interested in forking this extension to work with Chinese?

Kerim Friedman

Nov 21, 2018, 1:54:08 AM11/21/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Dear List Members,

While there are a number of excellent pop-up dictionary browser extensions for Chrome, I don't know of any for Safari. The best I could find was this Japanese one, but it needs to be forked to work with Chinese. (The logic of identifying words is a bit different.) Anyone out there up to the task?

Or perhaps you know of another extension that already works?

Cheers,

Kerim

--

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Nov 21, 2018, 3:33:06 AM11/21/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I have asked the developer (who is Chinese) whether he is working on a Chinese version. - Jens

Kerim Friedman

Nov 21, 2018, 8:23:17 AM11/21/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Great. I asked him as well. He said he might do it someday if he has time, but I think he'd rather someone else do it.

Kang-Ling Weng

Nov 21, 2018, 9:01:36 AM11/21/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

may be I am missing something, but
sorry for this dump question:

what is the main difference to "Apple Lookup" (dictionary) and this extension?
Is it just the mouse hover function?

Wouldn’t it probably be easier to find additional (better) chinese dictionaries for Apple Dictionary and then use
the (right click) Lookup feature ?

best regards
Jacky

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 22, 2018, 5:17:26 AM11/22/18
to Chinese Mac
Hi all,

Same question for me with a different perspective. It takes a lot of time to start a new development. If there is a specific request, it would make more sense for me to add it to SmartHanzi Mac, if it is possible.

Regards,
Jean

Kerim Friedman

Nov 22, 2018, 6:23:11 AM11/22/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Does SmartHanzi work with Safari? I thought it required you to copy and paste everything to the app?

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 22, 2018, 6:39:31 AM11/22/18
to Chinese Mac
Yes, it is copy and paste. It is not an extension.

Jean

Kang-Ling Weng

Nov 22, 2018, 8:02:24 AM11/22/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com

May be SmartHanzi can work with REST API / URL scheme in the future,
and people can develop some Browser extensions to work with SmartHanzi App ; )

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 22, 2018, 8:53:04 AM11/22/18
to Chinese Mac
At first sight, I would not go in this direction, both for performance and complexity. If the need is specifically for an extension, I can't say anything right now.

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 22, 2018, 12:16:52 PM11/22/18
to Chinese Mac
Kerim,

For what OS do you need this extension?
Safari for Mac?
Safari for iPhone, iPad?
Safari for Windows?
Other?

Kerim Friedman

Nov 22, 2018, 6:14:03 PM11/22/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Thus is for the Mac. (Safari on iOS does not support extensions and Apple stopped making Safari for Windows some time ago.) There are already several extensions that work well on Chrome.

---

P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩
Associate Professor
The Dept. of Ethnic Relations & Cultures

College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
副教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系

Kerim Friedman

Nov 22, 2018, 7:16:57 PM11/22/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
To elaborate a bit more on my answer to Kang-ling's question. One of my main concerns is the ability to do lookup in Google Docs. I supervise students and collaborate with colleagues writing in Chinese on a daily basis and we use Google Docs to do so. Unfortunately Google blocks the default Apple dictionary lookup behavior in Safari. However, it works fine with Perapera Chinese Popup in Chrome:

The main problem with Chrome is that it eats up battery power on the MacBook. Safari is much more energy efficient when I'm not plugged in.

Kang-Ling Weng

Nov 23, 2018, 2:29:08 AM11/23/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
thank you for the explanation Kerim

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 23, 2018, 5:14:17 AM11/23/18
to Chinese Mac
Thank you Kerim,

I shall check what I can do. I make no commitment.
Jean

Kerim Friedman

Nov 23, 2018, 7:48:23 AM11/23/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Don't discount the importance of the hover feature! It is far less intrusive when reading. Not only does it load immediately (no "searching...," with no need to select and highlight the text (the parsing feature is especially helpful in these tools since to a non-native speaker it can sometimes be obscure where the word boundaries are), but it is also locked to one dictionary (whereas the dictionary lookup features shows you multiple dictionaries, which requires scrolling and makes it harder to see the relevant information). All this means that it is often more useful than an objectively better dictionary - especially if you already speak the language.

Message has been deleted

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Nov 23, 2018, 9:33:21 AM11/23/18
to Chinese Mac
Kerim,
Did you try the hover feature at www.smarthanzi.net?
The web site is "copy and paste" and outdated but it has a hover feature similar to Safarikai.

In the toolbar:
- Select "Smaller popup follows mouse" by clicking on button #3 (two little boxes).
- Select "Hover: fly over text" with button #5 (H).

I would appreciate to have your opinion: if an appropriate hover mode is available, is "copy and paste" still a problem?

Kerim Friedman

Nov 23, 2018, 9:04:43 PM11/23/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone. I solved my problem with a bookmarklet!

This works in Google Docs within Safari without the need of an extension.

Kerim Friedman

Nov 23, 2018, 9:07:04 PM11/23/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Although you can't "hover" in iOS, this works in iOS safari as well!

Kerim Friedman

Nov 23, 2018, 9:09:28 PM11/23/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the multiple e-mails, but I thought it important to share the privacy statement as well, as the service should be used with some caution.

"All Chinese text found on the page is sent to the MandarinSpot server for segmentation and retrieval of the dictionary definitions. This information is not stored in any form on the server, but the transmission itself is done without encryption at the moment, which makes it possible for the data to be observed by a third party while in transit."

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Feb 11, 2019, 3:17:29 PM2/11/19
to Chinese Mac
A Safari extension for Chinese is just published on Mac App Store as "SmartHanzi Lite". Comments are welcome.

Joe Wicentowski

Feb 11, 2019, 4:08:33 PM2/11/19
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful, thank you, Jean!  The Mac App Store link is:

Then enable the extension via Safari Preferences > Extensions.

Joe