Deleting repeated characters in a Word document

Christopher Cullen

Oct 7, 2019, 10:48:55 AM10/7/19
to Chinese Mac

I have a Word document with Chinese text produced by OCR of a scanned Chinese text.

The scan is largely accurate - except that for some reason the text 'stutters', meaning that some single characters in the scanned text appear repeated in the OCR text.

So instead of, for instance   用之,并写成后给与小的们阅看。

I  have : ⽤用之,并写成后给与⼩小的们阅看。

Is there a suitable macro or other means of eliminating these repeats by replacing each pair of repeated characters with a single character?   I have a long text to process, so I need something that does the job at least semi-automatically.