Classical Chinese Character Elements

Rocky Cookus

May 14, 2017, 11:58:58 AM5/14/17
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.  My name is Rocky aka 谷瑞祺 (gŭruìqí), a Chinese name I acquired while living in Taipei back in the 60's.

I've not posted here before on this forum, but found something interesting this morning that I wanted to share and see if anyone else here on the forum is interested.

I was looking at the character 園 (yuan), and discovered that strokes 9, 10, 11, 12 correspond to the classical form for "heart", which is interesting to me since these strokes are don't correspond to any modern radical.

I then searched my database for this 4-stroke sequence and discovered that half of the "hits" from that search also contain the classical form for heart.

From the standpoint of tidying up and being able to account for the unaccountable, this discovery is satisfying, and may aid me in my efforts to remember the forms of the characters.

Eric Rasmussen

May 14, 2017, 12:25:44 PM5/14/17
to Chinese Mac
Rocky,

You're misreading that -- it does look a bit like 心 heart in small-seal script, but if you look closely you'll see it's not the same -- it's actually 从 in small-seal script.

I'm no expert, but I have a copy of Wenlin: 𧘇 [U+27607]. If you're not familiar with it, judging from your post I'd say you'd like it: https://wenlin.com

Eric Rasmussen

Rocky Cookus

May 14, 2017, 1:41:48 PM5/14/17