Language related announcements from WWDC

Kerim Friedman

Jun 3, 2019, 6:51:25 PM6/3/19
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Apple had their yearly developer conference and rolled out a large number of changes. A brief summary can be found here:

But what do these announcements mean for users of Chinese on Apple devices?

For me the biggest news is the ability to easily port iPad apps to the Mac. Hopefully that will mean we finally get Pleco on our desktop computers!

Also the ability to install iOS (and the new iPadOS) fonts directly from the App Store should offer up a lot more options for Chinese typography.

Speaking of Pleco, the developer Michael Love @elkmovie posted a few notes to Twitter:

"Ooh, SFSpeechRecognizer getting pinyin support (it seems) - this will be extremely useful for voice recognition of single Chinese words"

"“Language selection per app” extremely helpful for my customers."

"“Adjustable Chinese handwriting keyboard height” well that was sad but inevitable" ("Sad" because it makes his own HWR tool a little less unique.)

"Cantonese auto-completion."

"Built-in OCR!" (Meaning Chinese OCR is now one of the tools developers can add to their apps...)

He said that the new text-to-speech features don't seem to have a big impact on Chinese voices.

Did anyone else discover any new Chinese-related announcements from today's talk?

Cheers,

Kerim
--

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures

Henry Leperlier 羅維文

Jun 3, 2019, 8:33:58 PM6/3/19
to Chinese Mac
Many thanks Kerim for this useful summary.

Best wishes

Henry Leperlier

Kerim Friedman

Jun 4, 2019, 12:11:49 AM6/4/19
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Here's another one, picked up by MacStories:

"Multilingual Dictation. Dictation throughout iOS will now automatically recognize which language you’re using and intelligently enter the correct spoken words according to the different keyboard languages you have enabled."

If this works as advertised, this will be incredibly useful for me!