Chinese-English Dictionaries for MacOS Dictionary App and Safari

Kerim Friedman

Dec 28, 2017, 10:24:44 PM12/28/17
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

There used to be a nice list of dictionary files one could download and install in the built-in Dictionary App for macOS, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone know the link (assuming it is still there)? I found a version of CEDICT that is a bit out of date but still works, but haven't found anything else.

Also there was a Safari Extension that allowed pop-up definitions (called Frill) but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. Anyone know of any alternatives? I have something good for Chrome, but don't know of anything for Safari...

Thanks!

Kerim

--

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures

Rolf Giebel

Dec 29, 2017, 12:31:49 AM12/29/17
to chine...@googlegroups.com

> There used to be a nice list of dictionary files one could download and install in the built-in Dictionary App for macOS, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone know the link (assuming it is still there)? I found a version of CEDICT that is a bit out of date but still works, but haven't found anything else.

Perhaps this site?

http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/mac-os-x-dictionaries/

> Also there was a Safari Extension that allowed pop-up definitions (called Frill) but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. Anyone know of any alternatives? I have something good for Chrome, but don't know of anything for Safari…

Have you tried the Translate Safari Extension?

http://sidetree.com/extensions.html#Translate

Rolf Giebel

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Dec 29, 2017, 2:30:25 AM12/29/17
to Chinese Mac
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I take the liberty to notify SmartHanzi (Mac version) on Mac App Store. New version to be published shortly.

Jean

Kerim Friedman

Dec 29, 2017, 6:16:25 AM12/29/17
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Looking through the list archives I see that last time this came up (over two years ago) it was me who sent the dictionaries to someone else. Unfortunately the link I used is now gone. But if I have an archive of my old computer's System Folder somewhere I should be able to dig out those dictionaries... Seems that right now the best you can do is CEDict... (Which also seems to be what SmartHanzi uses?)

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net) <jean....@orange.fr> wrote:
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I take the liberty to notify SmartHanzi (Mac version) on Mac App Store. New version to be published shortly.

Jean

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Dec 29, 2017, 2:14:30 PM12/29/17
to Chinese Mac
Correct.

Up to my knowledge, CC-CEDICT is the only free (Creative Commons) Chinese-English dictionary list still maintained. Additional lists - general or specialized - would be welcome. For French, CFDict is updated again. HanDeDict (German) is no more maintained.

Happy new year!
Jean

Le vendredi 29 décembre 2017 12:16:25 UTC+1, 傅可恩 a écrit :
Looking through the list archives I see that last time this came up (over two years ago) it was me who sent the dictionaries to someone else. Unfortunately the link I used is now gone. But if I have an archive of my old computer's System Folder somewhere I should be able to dig out those dictionaries... Seems that right now the best you can do is CEDict... (Which also seems to be what SmartHanzi uses?)

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net) <jean....@orange.fr> wrote:
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I take the liberty to notify SmartHanzi (Mac version) on Mac App Store. New version to be published shortly.

Jean

barnett...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2018, 10:54:02 AM1/1/18
to Chinese Mac
Hi Kerim ,
 I found some extensions for the built-in Dictionary on my hard drive and i uploaded it to the google drive, here's link:

speaking of the safari extensions...hmmmm ,i might have seen them before, but i don't recall the name of it.

Sincerely
Barnett

在 2017年12月29日星期五 UTC+8上午11:24:44,傅可恩写道:

Kerim Friedman