OS 8.1 System Font

ying leung

Nov 14, 2017, 5:37:24 PM11/14/17
to Chinese Mac
How to change the OS 8.1 system font to Chinese font such as Taipei?
The Appearance Control Panel cannot do this.

ying leung

Nov 15, 2017, 11:11:49 AM11/15/17
to Thomas H Gewecke, chine...@googlegroups.com
The Language Kit is already in the install disc.
I can type Chinese, but cannot change the system font.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Thomas H Gewecke <thge...@mac.com> wrote:

On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:56 PM, ying leung <yleu...@gmail.com> wrote:

How to change the OS 8.1 system font to Chinese font such as Taipei?
The Appearance Control Panel cannot do this.

I could have told you 20 years ago, when that os 8 was used:-)

I think there was a separate Chinese language kit you had to acquire.

What are you planning to do?  I would not recommend creating Chinese text on such an ancient pre Unicode system

Eric Rasmussen

Nov 15, 2017, 2:27:14 PM11/15/17
to Chinese Mac
What computer are you running OS 8.1 on? It would be helpful to know. What version of the Chinese Language Kit do you have installed?

The old Chinese Mac page on System 7 and OS 8 is here:

It has not been updated in many years, so many of the links are dead, including all the Apple links. I don't know if they are still available -- possibly yes, but it could be hard to find them. Let us know if you do, and I can try -- it would be good to update the page with fresh links.

The Language Register will allow you to run localized applications in Chinese (TC or SC) if they support it.

Beyond the Language Register, my memory is not perfect, but I believe it is not possible to run the system in Traditional Chinese using the only the Language Kits. Instead, you have to install one of the Chinese editions of OS 8 to do that. I'm pretty sure of it were possible to run the system in Chinese using the Language Kits, we would have provided instructions on how to do that.

So basically, you need to get a set of Chinese install CDs for OS 8 or OS 8.1.

In general, our advice to anyone with a OS 8 computer that can run OS 9 was always to upgrade to OS 9.1 and use the Language Kits that came with those CDs:

Again, unless my memory is wrong, in order to run the entire system in Traditional Chinese, you'll need the Chinese editions of OS 9.

I'm curious to learn more about what you are trying to do, so let us know what you are doing!

Eric

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:18 AM, ying leung <yleu...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Language Kit is already in the install disc.
I can type Chinese, but cannot change the system font.

TenThousandThings

Nov 15, 2017, 3:02:19 PM11/15/17
to Chinese Mac
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:11:49 AM UTC-5, ying leung wrote:
The Language Kit is already in the install disc.
I can type Chinese, but cannot change the system font.

Can you be more specific about what install CDs you have? What language is your system currently in?