How do you type the character 孔 in Mac OS using zhuyin?

Tendai Musakwa

Jul 22, 2019, 11:20:06 AM7/22/19
to Chinese Mac
The Mac OS zhuyin input works fine for most other characters, but I can't type the character 孔 for some reason. Is this some kind of bug, or is there something I'm missing?

Tom Gewecke

Jul 22, 2019, 11:50:01 AM7/22/19
to chine...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 20, 2019, at 8:37 PM, Tendai Musakwa <temu...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Mac OS zhuyin input works fine for most other characters, but I can't type the character 孔 for some reason. Is this some kind of bug, or is there something I'm missing?

Does ㄎㄨㄥˇ not work?

Eric Rasmussen

Jul 22, 2019, 12:12:30 PM7/22/19
to Chinese Mac
In macOS 10.14 Zhuyin, you have to know the correct tones (no tone is first tone). So to get 孔 by itself you have to type ㄎㄨㄥˇ -- then you can use the space bar to get to a pop-up list.

The input method is intelligent and if you just keep typing almost always guesses the correct characters from the context. So if you just keep typing ㄎㄨㄥˇㄗˇ you get 孔子 with no need for the pop-up list.

It is somewhat flexible -- you can get 空子 by either ㄎㄨㄥˋㄗ˙ or ㄎㄨㄥˋㄗˇ

See this thread, here:

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:20 AM Tendai Musakwa <temu...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Mac OS zhuyin input works fine for most other characters, but I can't type the character 孔 for some reason. Is this some kind of bug, or is there something I'm missing?

Tendai Musakwa

Tendai Musakwa

Jul 23, 2019, 1:31:26 AM7/23/19
to Chinese Mac
It's working now. It turns out I was typing ㄙ instead of ㄥ, which is why the keyboard didn't recognize it as valid input. Sigh...