8/21/96: We rejected the underground apology letter from NBC on Tuesday, Aug.20

1 view

K. Harrison Liang

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

http://qing.ucdavis.edu:8888/Donation/bbs226.html

Today(Tue.), We Got One "Underground"
Apology Letter from NBC

Shawn Dong
posted on Wed Aug 21 00:41:55 1996

On this morning, Aug.20, our negotiation representative and law consultant,
Ms. Wei Qun E. received the faxed apology letter from NBC Vice President,
Ed Markey.

However, all committee members cannot agree to accept this "underground" apology.

Our brave law consultant, Ms. We Qun, immediately say "NO" to NBC.

In the letter, Mr. Markey said, "Mr. Costas did not intend any disrespect to
the People's Republic of China or its citizens."

If Mr. Costas did not intend any disrespect to our athletes, how can he made
up the facts, spread the rumors and suspicions, gave the hostile comments
again and again during the Games.

Mr. Markey also said, "The comments made were not based on NBC beliefs."

Good, however, Mr. Bob Costas is a very important employee of NBC. NBC should
have the duty to educate every employee for good beliefs.

"Nobody at NBC event intends to offend anyone, and we regret that this has apparently
happened."

Finally admit this, why not gave us this acknowledgement four weeks ago?

"We apologize for any resulting hurt feelings and we sincerely hope
this puts the matter to rest."

If NBC wants to "put the matter to rest", NBC must have the courage to give us
a full, sincere, and public apology.

When Bob Costas broadcasted his hostile speech in the opening ceremony, thousands
and hundreds hearts were deeply hurt. While Bob Costas poured his suspicions to
our proud and innocent athletes, billions over the world and in our motherland were
offended.

Is a simple fax like this enough to compensate all of us?

No!

After voting, the negotiation committee reached the agreement that we can only
accept one "On Air + Printing, Full and Public Apology".

Yes, Mr. Bob Costas has his right to spread rumors, to pour his suspicions,
and to make his discriminations, but we, thousands and hundreds self-respecting
Chinese, have our legal rights to protest, to boycott and to ask back what we
lost.

Please unite together, we want the complete victory, not an "underground" piece of
paper.

Our planned AD on New York Times is reserved on next Monday. Please give us
your last support now.

The planned demonstration in NBC Headquarter in New York is temporarily arranged
on this Saturday.

Unite, we will win!!!

The Committee of Global Fund Raising to Put AD in New York Times

K. Harrison Liang

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Hongkuan~{령질~}

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

> Is a simple fax like this enough to compensate all of us?
>
> No!
>
> After voting, the negotiation committee reached the agreement that we can only
> accept one "On Air + Printing, Full and Public Apology".

This reminds me of the students' demand for "alive broadcasting"
of the Dialog with the Chinese Communist Government in 1989 Beijing.
The Chinese Government rudely rejected such a demand, and killed
a lot of Chinese students and citizens, thus ruined China's HR record.

I sincerely wish that NBC would accpet your "Demand". USA is free.

> Yes, Mr. Bob Costas has his right to spread rumors, to pour his suspicions,
> and to make his discriminations, but we, thousands and hundreds self-respecting
> Chinese, have our legal rights to protest, to boycott and to ask back what we
> lost.

No. No one has the rights to spread rumors, etc.... Polish your writing
please!

> The Committee of Global Fund Raising to Put AD in New York Times

As I said earlier, the NY-Times has ALWAYS been in the same camp as NBC
in their reportage about China's human rights violations, etc.

I honestly don't think they hate us Chinese as people, instead they
don't like the Chinese Government and the CCP for political reasons.

Raise money for New York Times is purely unwise! It's like send $ to
NBC.

--
Hongkuan Li, http://www.dorsai.org/~abc
Tel. (718)539-6134 FAX: 460-0638 E-Mail: a...@USA.Net

Peter Kin-Ym Kwok

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

The first thing came to my mind was that "going for a foot after
gaining an inch".

This is no longer a fight for fairness and justice-- this has become
a fight for dominance and total power control.

Peter

--
Peter K. Kwok | "The best therapy to nonsense
kw...@math.uiuc.edu | is critical intelligence."

xiao-lin li

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4vidq4$o...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Peter Kin-Ym Kwok <kw...@symcom.math.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>The first thing came to my mind was that "going for a foot after
>gaining an inch".
>
>This is no longer a fight for fairness and justice-- this has become
>a fight for dominance and total power control.

The question is: if we have to choose between the CCP manipulation
of world press and NBC's biased report, which one is less evil?

A Jewish Lawyer once defended a Nazi group on the freedom of speech.
Should Chinese also realize the importance of free speech and begin
to defend NBC?

S. Zeng

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4vie3v$5...@dismay.ucs.indiana.edu> xl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (xiao-lin li) writes:
>From: xl...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (xiao-lin li)
>Subject: Re: 8/21/96: We rejected the underground apology letter from NBC on
>Tuesday, Aug.20
>Date: 22 Aug 1996 19:57:51 GMT

>In article <4vidq4$o...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>Peter Kin-Ym Kwok <kw...@symcom.math.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>The first thing came to my mind was that "going for a foot after
>>gaining an inch".
>>
>>This is no longer a fight for fairness and justice-- this has become
>>a fight for dominance and total power control.

>The question is: if we have to choose between the CCP manipulation
>of world press and NBC's biased report, which one is less evil?

Why do we have to choose between those two evils. Criticize NBC does not mean
that we endorse CPP.

>A Jewish Lawyer once defended a Nazi group on the freedom of
speech.
>Should Chinese also realize the importance of free speech and begin
>to defend NBC?

We are not challenge NBC's legal right, we are challenge their ethic and
moral. If they have the right to free speech, so do we have right to put on
that advertisement

過 江 龍

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96
to Harr...@psu.edu
> Is a simple fax like this enough to compensate all of us?
>
> No!
>
> After voting, the negotiation committee reached the agreement that we can only
> accept one "On Air + Printing, Full and Public Apology".
>
> Yes, Mr. Bob Costas has his right to spread rumors, to pour his suspicions,
> and to make his discriminations, but we, thousands and hundreds self-respecting
> Chinese, have our legal rights to protest, to boycott and to ask back what we
> lost.
>
> Please unite together, we want the complete victory, not an "underground" piece of
> paper.
>
> Our planned AD on New York Times is reserved on next Monday. Please give us
> your last support now.
>
> The planned demonstration in NBC Headquarter in New York is temporarily arranged
> on this Saturday.
>
> Unite, we will win!!!
>
> The Committee of Global Fund Raising to Put AD in New York Times

你 小 子 憑 什 麼 來 代 表 (WE),出 風 頭 ?
不 去 叫 人 民 政 府 出 面 ?
Global Fund Raising 你 班 小 子 不 發 大 財 了 嗎 ?
為 何 不 發 起 "棄 用 洋 名 "和 退 回 紅 卡 "運 動 ?
再 不 然 回 國 用 殘 虫 飛 彈 偷 襲 ATLANTA.
你 敢 保 証 虫 國 沒 有 做 過 此 類 事 ?
假 商 品 , 假 酒 , 講 假 話 再 加 上 你 這 一 班 用 洋 名 的 假 洋 洋
鬼 子 。 媽 的 , 牙 又 痛 了 。

過 江 龍

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96
to Harr...@psu.edu

BUT YOU WILL TAKE UNDERTABLE FUND?
UNDERTABLE CASH?
UNDERTABLE PERSONAL BENEFIT?

IF NBC IS A 中 國 通 SHALL SEND AN UNDERTABLE APOLOGY LETTER PLUS ABOVE
THREE ITEMS AT LEAST.

過 江 龍

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Hongkuan~{滄韓~} wrote:

> > Is a simple fax like this enough to compensate all of us?
> >
> > No!
> >
> > After voting, the negotiation committee reached the agreement that we can only
> > accept one "On Air + Printing, Full and Public Apology".
>
> This reminds me of the students' demand for "alive broadcasting"
> of the Dialog with the Chinese Communist Government in 1989 Beijing.
> The Chinese Government rudely rejected such a demand, and killed
> a lot of Chinese students and citizens, thus ruined China's HR record.
>
> I sincerely wish that NBC would accpet your "Demand". USA is free.
>

> > Yes, Mr. Bob Costas has his right to spread rumors, to pour his suspicions,
> > and to make his discriminations, but we, thousands and hundreds self-respecting
> > Chinese, have our legal rights to protest, to boycott and to ask back what we
> > lost.
> >

> No. No one has the rights to spread rumors, etc.... Polish your writing
> please!
>
> > The Committee of Global Fund Raising to Put AD in New York Times
>
> As I said earlier, the NY-Times has ALWAYS been in the same camp as NBC
> in their reportage about China's human rights violations, etc.
>
> I honestly don't think they hate us Chinese as people, instead they
> don't like the Chinese Government and the CCP for political reasons.
>
> Raise money for New York Times is purely unwise! It's like send $ to
> NBC.
>
> --
> Hongkuan Li, http://www.dorsai.org/~abc
> Tel. (718)539-6134 FAX: 460-0638 E-Mail: a...@USA.Net
> "Buy-A-Code" phone card expert, $0.54/min to China 24hrs/day

什 麼 都 未 做 成 , 先 來 一 個 GLOBALE FUND RAISING 想 得 真 美 。
把 事 情 搞 得 越 大 越 好 , 有 了 政 治 本 錢 回 國 由 老 江 來 接 机
見 。 就 是 會 共 他 人 之 產 。

Quanyi Sun

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

[...]

I respect and admire very very much for you guys' courage, braveness
totally. Hope good luck to you and to our chinese!

過 江 龍

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96
to S. Zeng

There are ways of spend such funds (donated by people like everyone
else), such as to flood in China ? huh ? Human rights in China ? or
those
guys just want to gain benefits from this, or making a show for the
Beijing government ? Why the Chinese government kept silence nor the
Chinese olympic committee?
Go do some thing, make yourself a Chinese burrito (Moshu pork), how
dare anyone say there are no human right abuse in China? or The Chinese
team never took drugs?

過 江 龍

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96
to S. Zeng

If I am NBC I wll not submit such underground apology, instead give
those
guys UNDERTABLE:
CASH !
BENIFITS !
PUBLICITIES !
HELP THEIR RELATIVES TO COME OVER HERE !

Get lost in my forest