Patch idstorage keys on my TA-082+ motherboard

Havoc

Mar 9, 2008, 7:31:01 AM3/9/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Hi Chilly Willy,

I recently decided to downgrade my PSP to firmware 1.50 (it was on
2.81 -> 3.03 before) by using the GTA exploit, but by having this done
my idstorage keys were offcourse patched. Because I don't want to be
dependent of custom made firmware I want to be sure that I can undo
this patching that the downgrader did. Someone on one of the usual PSP
forums told me I should be using your KeyCleaner. My question is, now
that my PSP is back on 1.50, can I get it to go back to 3.0.3, then
use my unpatched version of GTA and go into 3.0.3 HEN and just run
your KeyCleaner?
What version do I need to have of your KeyCleaner? Can I after
patching my keys back just upgrade to any official firmware?

Thanks in advance.

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2008, 1:54:20 AM3/10/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Since you are on 1.50, just update to 3.52 M33-4 custom firmware. Then
KeyCleaner will run fine from the XMB and allow you to fix the keys.
Then you can (if you wish) update to 3.90 M33 or leave it at 3.52.
3.52 M33-4 was the last 1.50-based custom firmware. Versions newer
than that are 3.xx based and require you to install a special add-on
to run older 1.50-based homebrew.

I suggest that you backup your NAND while you have the chance. You
should use Cory's nandTool 0.3b1.
http://nds.cmamod.com/2007/12/05/nandtooldescemm8-03-beta/

Then my latest KeyCleaner here should work fine with 3.52 M33. The
version here is ALWAYS the latest version.

Once the keys are fixed, then you could go back to official firmware
if you wanted. Note - if you use 1.50 or 1.50-based custom firmware,
key 5 MUST be patched to keep from bricking. When you fix the keys
with KeyCleaner, it should tell you afterward that key 5 is Chilly
Willy patched. Leave it than way unless you go back to official
firmware or go to 3.70 or newer M33 custom firmware. Since the newer
custom firmware is 3.xx based, it doesn't need key 5 patched.

How to go back to official firmware:
Install 2.71 or 2.80 official firmware.
Run Homebrew ENabler (HEN) for 2.71 or 2.80 and run KeyCleaner.
Unpatch key 5.
Install newer official firmware.

You need to go to 2.71/2.80 first because those have HEN, and you need
custom firmware or HEN to run KeyCleaner. You must have all keys fixed
and key 5 unpatched before you can install 3.30 or newer official
firmware. However, I really don't see the point in running official
firmware. Homebrew really makes the PSP shine, unlocking all its
potential. I like running SEGA Genesis games on my PSP. Some games are
like they were MADE for the PSP. You need custom firmware to run a
Genesis emulator. The custom firmware is nearly always up to date,
supporting the very latest firmware from Sony (3.90 at this time). So
you won't lose the ability to run any official games or demos that
require the latest Sony firmware.

Havoc

Mar 10, 2008, 3:28:55 AM3/10/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow

On Mar 10, 6:54 am, ChillyWillyG...@gmail.com wrote:
> Since you are on 1.50, just update to 3.52 M33-4 custom firmware. Then
> KeyCleaner will run fine from the XMB and allow you to fix the keys.
> Then you can (if you wish) update to 3.90 M33 or leave it at 3.52.
> 3.52 M33-4 was the last 1.50-based custom firmware. Versions newer
> than that are 3.xx based and require you to install a special add-on
> to run older 1.50-based homebrew.
>
> I suggest that you backup your NAND while you have the chance. You
> should use Cory's nandTool 0.3b1.http://nds.cmamod.com/2007/12/05/nandtooldescemm8-03-beta/
Hi chilly willy,
Thanks a lot for your fast response but I don't want to go to custom
made firmware I want to go back to official Sony firmware.

Can you please explain this a little more:
> How to go back to official firmware:
> Install 2.71 or 2.80 official firmware.
> Run Homebrew ENabler (HEN) for 2.71 or 2.80 and run KeyCleaner.
> Unpatch key 5.
> Install newer official firmware.

How can I install Homebrew ENabler for 2.71 or 2.80, where can I find
it and what version do I need (if there are more versions)?
What are the steps I need to do in Key Cleaner to Unpatch my key 5?
Do I also need to backup my NAND if I want to go back to official Sony
firmware?

> Once the keys are fixed, then you could go back to official firmware
> if you wanted. Note - if you use 1.50 or 1.50-based custom firmware,
> key 5 MUST be patched to keep from bricking. When you fix the keys
> with KeyCleaner, it should tell you afterward that key 5 is Chilly
> Willy patched. Leave it than way unless you go back to official
> firmware or go to 3.70 or newer M33 custom firmware. Since the newer
> custom firmware is 3.xx based, it doesn't need key 5 patched.
Does this only goes if I wanted to go from custom firmware to official
firmware? So if If I want to go to official firmware directly (from
official 1.5.0) I only have to use the steps mentioned above right?

Thanks a lot!!

p.s. Sorry for being such a pain but I really want to keep my PSP from
getting bricked.

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2008, 11:23:37 PM3/10/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
On Mar 10, 1:28 am, Havoc <king.of.cu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 6:54 am, ChillyWillyG...@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your fast response but I don't want to go to custom
> made firmware I want to go back to official Sony firmware.
>
> Can you please explain this a little more:
>
> > How to go back to official firmware:
> > Install 2.71 or 2.80 official firmware.
> > Run Homebrew ENabler (HEN) for 2.71 or 2.80 and run KeyCleaner.
> > Unpatch key 5.
> > Install newer official firmware.
>
> How can I install Homebrew ENabler for 2.71 or 2.80, where can I find
> it and what version do I need (if there are more versions)?

You can find 2.71 HEN and 2.80 HEN in my corruption-free downgrader
archives on this google page. You can also find them elsewhere, like
D_A's web site. The downgrader archives have HEN so that you can run
the downgrading homebrew, but you can also use the HEN to run things
like KeyCleaner. Read the readme that comes with the downgrader - you
want to follow the steps up through activating the HEN. Once the HEN
is activated, you can then run KeyCleaner.

Remember, HEN is meant for running homebrew on official firmware. 2.71
HEN is for official 2.71 Sony firmware, and 2.80 HEN is for 2.80
official firmware. I recommend those two since they use picture
exploits to activate. You COULD also use 3.03 HEN to do this, but it
requires the old GTA:LCS to work. If you have the proper GTA:LCS, feel
free to use 3.03 HEN instead.

> What are the steps I need to do in Key Cleaner to Unpatch my key 5?

Run KeyCleaner, tell it to analyze the keys, select analyze as a
TA-082/86, and if all the keys are fixed and key 5 is Chilly Willy
patched, you will be allowed to unpatch key 5. If the keys aren't
fixed, they need to be fixed before you are allowed to unpatch key 5.

> Do I also need to backup my NAND if I want to go back to official Sony
> firmware?

I would do so just in case something goes wrong. The parts of the
idstorage in the NAND is specific to each PSP, so if you lose it
somehow, you are totally hosed unless you made a backup.

> > Once the keys are fixed, then you could go back to official firmware
> > if you wanted. Note - if you use 1.50 or 1.50-based custom firmware,
> > key 5 MUST be patched to keep from bricking. When you fix the keys
> > with KeyCleaner, it should tell you afterward that key 5 is Chilly
> > Willy patched. Leave it than way unless you go back to official
> > firmware or go to 3.70 or newer M33 custom firmware. Since the newer
> > custom firmware is 3.xx based, it doesn't need key 5 patched.
>
> Does this only goes if I wanted to go from custom firmware to official
> firmware? So if If I want to go to official firmware directly (from
> official 1.5.0) I only have to use the steps mentioned above right?

If you're on 1.50 and want to go back to official firmware, here's
what I'd do:

Decide which HEN you want to use - 2.71, 2.80, or 3.03 (3.03 requires
GTA:LCS). Install the official firmware for that specific HEN. If you
go with 2.71 HEN, 2.72 firmware will NOT work. Similarly, 2.81
firmware will NOT run 2.80 HEN. The firmware MUST match the HEN.

Activate the HEN using the instructions that come with it. For 3.03
HEN, that is loading a specific save file. For 2.71 or 2.80, that is
looking at a specific picture.

Run KeyCleaner. Analyze the keys. If they are all good with key 5
Chilly Willy patched, you will be asked if you wish to unpatch key 5.
If the keys aren't fixed, you should fix them. If you aren't sure, ask
here (be sure to write down what KC says about all the keys).

Once all the keys are fixed and key 5 unpatched, you can then run the
official firmware updater to the latest firmware.

> Thanks a lot!!

No problem.

> p.s. Sorry for being such a pain but I really want to keep my PSP from
> getting bricked.

Better to ask until you KNOW you're not doing something wrong that to
do something stupid and wind up with a bricked/unrecoverable PSP. Ask
whatever questions you feel are needed until you feel comfortable.

Havoc

Mar 12, 2008, 3:04:19 AM3/12/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow

On Mar 11, 4:23 am, ChillyWillyG...@gmail.com wrote:

> You can find 2.71 HEN and 2.80 HEN in my corruption-free downgrader
> archives on this google page. You can also find them elsewhere, like
> D_A's web site. The downgrader archives have HEN so that you can run
> the downgrading homebrew, but you can also use the HEN to run things
> like KeyCleaner. Read the readme that comes with the downgrader - you
> want to follow the steps up through activating the HEN. Once the HEN
> is activated, you can then run KeyCleaner.
>
> Remember, HEN is meant for running homebrew on official firmware. 2.71
> HEN is for official 2.71 Sony firmware, and 2.80 HEN is for 2.80
> official firmware. I recommend those two since they use picture
> exploits to activate. You COULD also use 3.03 HEN to do this, but it
> requires the old GTA:LCS to work. If you have the proper GTA:LCS, feel
> free to use 3.03 HEN instead.
>

> Run KeyCleaner, tell it to analyze the keys, select analyze as a
> TA-082/86, and if all the keys are fixed and key 5 is Chilly Willy
> patched, you will be allowed to unpatch key 5. If the keys aren't
> fixed, they need to be fixed before you are allowed to unpatch key 5.
>

> I would do so just in case something goes wrong. The parts of the
> idstorage in the NAND is specific to each PSP, so if you lose it
> somehow, you are totally hosed unless you made a backup.
>

> If you're on 1.50 and want to go back to official firmware, here's
> what I'd do:
>
> Decide which HEN you want to use - 2.71, 2.80, or 3.03 (3.03 requires
> GTA:LCS). Install the official firmware for that specific HEN. If you
> go with 2.71 HEN, 2.72 firmware will NOT work. Similarly, 2.81
> firmware will NOT run 2.80 HEN. The firmware MUST match the HEN.
>
> Activate the HEN using the instructions that come with it. For 3.03
> HEN, that is loading a specific save file. For 2.71 or 2.80, that is
> looking at a specific picture.
>
> Run KeyCleaner. Analyze the keys. If they are all good with key 5
> Chilly Willy patched, you will be asked if you wish to unpatch key 5.
> If the keys aren't fixed, you should fix them. If you aren't sure, ask
> here (be sure to write down what KC says about all the keys).
>
> Once all the keys are fixed and key 5 unpatched, you can then run the
> official firmware updater to the latest firmware.
>

> No problem.
>

> Better to ask until you KNOW you're not doing something wrong that to
> do something stupid and wind up with a bricked/unrecoverable PSP. Ask
> whatever questions you feel are needed until you feel comfortable.

Okay thanks for the explanation. I think I'll use the GTA exploit
again since I have an unpatched version (it's how my key got noobz
patched in the first place).
So if I understand correctly this is what I'll need to do:

Install 3.0.3 official firmware and download exploit.

Activate the HEN using the instructions that come with it by loading
the save file in GTA

Dump my keys with KeyCleaner (where does it places my keys and should
I keep them on my PC?)

Post here wat KC tells me about my keys.
Run KeyCleaner. Analyze the keys. I will find my key is no good,
since it is noobz patched. Next patch it Chilly Willy.
Then KC will ask if I want to unpatch my key 5 and I can safely
unpatch it.

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 10:57:38 PM3/13/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
On Mar 12, 1:04 am, Havoc <king.of.cu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay thanks for the explanation. I think I'll use the GTA exploit
> again since I have an unpatched version (it's how my key got noobz
> patched in the first place).
> So if I understand correctly this is what I'll need to do:
>
> Install 3.0.3 official firmware and download exploit.

You can find the 3.03 HEN here:

http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/hen-for-v3.03-firmware.html

Always get it direct from the source for things like this.

> Activate the HEN using the instructions that come with it by loading
> the save file in GTA
>
> Dump my keys with KeyCleaner (where does it places my keys and should
> I keep them on my PC?)

It makes a directory in the KeyCleaner directory called "keys". You
should also run the nanddump app that comes with 3.03 HEN to get a
nice dump of your entire NAND. That can be a life-saver for some
folks. Make sure you make copies of both elsewhere for safe keeping.

> Post here wat KC tells me about my keys.
> Run KeyCleaner. Analyze the keys. I will find my key is no good,
> since it is noobz patched. Next patch it Chilly Willy.

It should recognize it as Noobz downgraded and ask if you wish to fix
it. Doing so will fix the keys, leaving key 5 Chilly Willy patched.
Analyze it again to see that. If the second time it analyzes it STILL
says there's a bad key (other than key 5), report it.

> Then KC will ask if I want to unpatch my key 5 and I can safely
> unpatch it.

Yes. Once you are on official 2.xx or 3.xx firmware, key 5 does not
need to be patched. It ONLY needs to be patched for 1.50 or 1.50-based
custom firmware.

> Once all the keys are fixed and key 5 unpatched, you can then run the
> official firmware updater to the latest firmware.

Yep!